Thursday, May 10, 2018


Alexander sent me this extraordinary picture today, of his father, my husband. My first thot was that he had been doing some energetic Photoshopping, but no – it’s a straightforward picture, taken at an interesting venue on the coast of Argyll.

I’ve forgotten the name of the nearest town, although I’ve been there twice. It was built as dormitory accommodation for a nearby oil rig that never happened, I think. For years it lay empty, in a fairly dangerous state, clumsily padlocked, with a warning notice not about personal safety but about not disturbing the bats. Graffiti artists came (as you see) and the place acquired a modest fame. It has since been destroyed.



Not much was achieved today, as usual. I had an Italian lesson, however; and renewed my motor insurance; and knit some more of the Calcutta Cup. I’ll be glad when it’s finished and I can settle down to the blessed regularity of ordinary Fair Isle.

Non-knit

The point of hiding that gun in different places (yesterday's post) was so that if a Bad Man broke in while the house was empty, he might find one piece but was unlikely to be able to assemble a usable weapon. The police who came to inspect us -- the police take guns very seriously -- admired our arrangements.

But then the rules changed, and we had to have a steel gun case bolted to the wall. (So that if a Bad Man broke in he would see at once where the guns were, and would have all the time he needed to hack the case off the wall.)

Joan, I was so glad to hear that Lynn Zwerling (yesterday’s post; the new Fruity Knitting interviewee) is a friend of yours.

6 comments:

  1. A remarkable image. Does it speak to your husband's appreciation of diverse forms of art - or is that an unintended reading?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:51 PM

      I have the same question.
      -- Gretchen (aka stashdragon)

      Delete
  2. What a fun photo! I've read about Lynn Zwerling's Knitting Behind Bars Project with interest and even sent some money. Isn't that one of the Corporal Works of Mercy? I always thought it odd as a child. Now, I understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:17 PM

    Lynn's work has long impressed me. I was given a children's book of the Corporal Works of Mercy as a young child. I think my mother detected thoughtlessness and cruelty in my nature vis-a-vis my usurping upstart of a little sister. Any kind impulse that surprisingly pops into my clueless head to this day, I owe to that little book. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  4. =Tamar6:53 PM

    What I notice about that building is the lack of windows in a supposed dormitory. I hope there were some on the other sides of the building. The graffito is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an incredible photograph! It is interesting on so many levels. I am no artist, nor do I pretend to understand all the intricacies of the visual arts, but this photograph is so beautiful and interesting at the same time.:)

    ReplyDelete