Sunday, December 10, 2023

 Filthy weather continues. C. came to see me. Christmas has reached the slightly silly stage when no expense seems too great. Does Thanksgiving save you from that in the US? 

Knitting progresses. I did four long, long rows today without looking at the pattern. The difficulty being that there are several forms of the right-side-increase row. I’m in a section for which the instruction is “repeat rows 1-4 six times”. I’ve done five of them, and I think it would be just as well to count stitches before I proceed. After that there will be 16 more rows until the happy instruction to “ Proceed to all sizes resume..”

Comments yesterday: Tamar, Wafa has already found the four copies of Knitter’s Magazine from the turn of the millennium, where Meg expands on and elucidates the EPS. They are safely back on the shelf where they belong. A great relief.Gretchen, I don’t know exactly where she found the key to the carriage clock — it was on the shelf of a bookcase at the far end of the corridor: completely impossible.

Wordle: my starters did all the work. An easy three for me. Rachel and Mark and Thomas also got three. Alexander and Ketki both needed four, with identical grids consisting only of greens. In DC, Roger had three and Theo four. I think C. said she got it in three, but without being able to refer to her score in Signal I can’t entirely trust my memory.


7 comments:

  1. Kirstenm7:43 PM

    Some people are naturally 'good lookers', my husband for one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:40 PM

    On the topic of people not being able to find things, I used to work with a man whose girlfriend always accused him of "man looking" when she would ask him to get something and he couldn't find it but she would walk right over and pick it up. I had forgotten about this and it still makes me laugh.
    Wordle in four in spite of starting with nothing.
    I think Thanksgiving in the States is more like the kick off for the silly spending season.
    Judy in So Calif

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:50 PM

    Here in the US we went through a period when stores were opening at midnight or earlier on Thanksgiving so people could start their shopping. I think all the on line shopping has put an end to a lot of that - thank goodness. I agree with Judy that Thanksgiving for some is just a kick off to Christmas spending.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:18 AM

    My husband misplaces keys, wallets, glasses, etc and sometimes can’t see items in the fridge, but he has an excellent sense of direction. What’s that about?
    Take Wafa to your ‘center of thr universe’ and see if she can locate your keys.
    weavinfool

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the first time in ages I did Wordle in two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! If only I'd used my usual starter word instead of trying a different one for a change.

      Delete
  6. =Tamar4:16 PM

    Loud cheers for Wafa's finding skills!
    And more for your doing four long rows in one day.
    I once knew a man who only looked at certain places as he walked through the house. His wife could "hide" things by putting them in plain sight ten inches from his habitual eye-path.

    ReplyDelete