Saturday, December 30, 2023

 

 I‘m beginning to be afraid that I haven’t got the picture of me being carried down the steps. I’ll have to get it from Helen.

 

Knitting: I think I neglected to report on that at all yesterday. I haven’t done much lately. I have, however, left the sleeves behind on waste yarn and assumed the rest into a cylinder. I’m fond of fisherman’s rib. I knit a whole dress in it from a VKB when I was young, and never wore it but once because it instantly stretched to ankle-length or beyond. In my middle years I knit a two-colour half-brioche sweater for myself twice. I loved them dearly until the moths got them. Two-colour half-brioche is easy: you use a dp and slide the work back and forth when necessary.

 

I was a bit taken aback last night to discover that single-colour half-brioche – which is what is required for the Spalding – is not quite as easy as I assumed it would be. You’ve got to remember how to move the yarn back and forth with every stitch. It’s not quite as obvious or as easy as k1, p1. There are two separate pattern-rows, too.  Full-scale fisherman’s, however, can be done from one side only, I think, by alternating k1 and k1below. I should be able to do a bit more this evening and report more fully tomorrow.

 

It has been a quiet day here, dark and cold. We even had a brief bit of slushy snow. Helen came, and we advanced life a wee bit. The current carer has been a short-order cook in her day. The professional touch lingers and is very welcome. I had been losing appetite with the stress of recent days. I begin every day with wilted spinach upon which is poached an egg, With Abiola, the egg is poached to perfection and – even more welcome – the spinach is not served in a little pool of water.

 

“The Secret of Cooking” (see yesterday) continues well. I’ve just hit a patch of delicious-sounding salad recipes. Which reminds me that I have recently signed up for a Substack (new word) called The Department of Salad by Emily Nunn. That’s recommended too, if you like Substacks and like salads.

 

Wordle: Another pretty easy one. I scored four, but that was because I got line three wrong, by sheer bad luck, as often happens. (Good luck often happens, too.) My line three was grn, grn, brn, brn, grn. All I had to do was reverse the two browns, and I did that, of course, in line 4. Mark, Thomas and Ketki also scored four; three for Alexander and Rachel.  Four for Roger, three for Theo.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:40 PM

    Also very glad to see you back & sounding so well. How does Perdita feel about the new carer?

    Beverly in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:07 PM

    So glad to see these posts. Welcome back!
    And Happy New Year!
    Sarah in Manhattan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Lou1:31 AM

    So happy to hear the updates on your adventures for the holiday. I was listening to a BBC Podcast last night that talked about First Footing, Black buns and new year in Scotland, A Point of View. I thought of you and that you might enjoy it. I hope that learning some short order cook tips is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:08 AM

    I found the Department of Salad a lot of fun.
    I didn’t try any of her recipes … yet.
    Hope you enjoy the newsletter!
    No snow in Toronto yet, maybe in the coming week.
    Lisa R-R

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought some black bun for my husband as one of his Christmas presents. It is an extraordinary dense kind of fruit cake; I was disconcerted to find the cost of the postage was considerably more than the cost of the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello Jean, wishing you and the family a good 2024, keep taking care xxxxx

    ReplyDelete