Monday, May 13, 2024

 A less-good day than the two preceding , but dry, at least, and the carer and I got out all by ourselves (=of course, her strenuous efforts) and we got to the butcher’s. The place has been fancied up a good deal since I was last there. But there I was, with a kent face behind the counter. It was wonderful.

   I asked him about wagyu. They had some, frozen, labelled “Japan” without any further detail. It was wonderfully marbled (as wagyu should be) and cost twice or three times as much as the steaks I gave those boys last Thursday (which weren’t wonderfully marbled). Maybe one day.

  After all that, as I sank gratefully down in my chair, my carer said she was feeling ill and was leaving. A replacement arrived promptly. Helen is switching us to another, much cheaper company. Will they be able to handle these not-infrequent crises as seamlessly?

  Knitting moved forward, slowly. 

   Thank you for your helpful comments about diet (comments, Saturday). Protein: I have an egg for breakfast every day. Mindful Chef, which feeds me three or four days each week, is strong on balanced diet. I tend to shy away from pulses. My sister — three and a half years younger by the calendar, but seeming more like 20 — will be here next week. I will consult her.

   And I take a strong daily dose of vitamin D.

   Thank you for your Mother’s Day wishes yesterday, too. And, Eileen, thank you for agreeing that KD has put an extraordinary amount of research and energy and creativity into her current Margery Allingham club. She richly deserved her happy surprise when we signed up in droves for the MKAL. First clue this week, I think.

   Wordle:  my starters gave me two greens plus a brown vowel. I struggled mightily to think of anything. I would have been grateful for a Jean-word, but the two greens made it difficult. Eventually I thought of a possible English word. Not at all likely, but it qualified. I typed it in. It was right. Three for me.

Thomas, Mark, Theo and Roger were my fellow-threes, although I wouldn’t have said the word had an American slant. Four for Ketki and Rachel. Five for Alexander. 



2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:51 PM

    I am pretty excited about KD's club. Not sure whether I will do any of the knitting (though I certainly hope to!), but I have already polished off the first of the reading "assignments" and was delighted with my first outing with this new-to-me author. I love mystery fiction, but have clearly missed out on some of the classics. (Anne Perry and Jacqueline Winspear are person favorites, along with Dick Francis.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:03 PM

    The butcher outing sounds excellent!
    I had not heard the term “kent face” - very interesting to hear of that usage. I am sure the staff person was glad to see you too.
    In Toronto there are people one sees in the neighbourhood after the ice and snow has gone …it’s a welcome spring surprise like the earliest flowers. (I guess if I were a dog walker I would see more people more regularly)
    Lisa R-R

    ReplyDelete