Friday, May 17, 2024

 Another proper May day, still with a touch of cool. I didn’t go out. We had a carer-handover, which my original agency (which is still in charge) does once a fortnight. Always slightly stressful.

   I knit industriously onwards. I am getting close — for those of you who are MKAL’ing with me — to the end of the first repeat of the colour sequence. The second repeat will be much slower, of course, as each right-side row adds two stitches and they soon add up.

   Jenny and Anonymous (comments yesterday): I certainly remember those shawls we knit. Was it called the Dathan Hap? I did it twice, and one of the results used to hang over the back of the very chair in which I sit. The trouble with being crippled is that you can’t take the few steps necessary even to look around the room. My feeling is that that yarn was slightly thicker than Milarrochy Tweed, more like sock yarn. Or I might have knit it from stash (unlike me). Anyway, on I go.

   Helen came this morning. Otherwise I don’t think there are any events to report from the Outer World. C. has been in London of late. She’s back now, and I’ll see her on Sunday.

   Wordle: a green and three browns from my starters. My first guess was a rather gloomy word, and it was wrong, but it got everybody into order — four greens. I got it in four.

It was the same for everybody else over here except Thomas, who needed five. Theo was another four. Silence so far (it’s sort of early) from Roger in DC and Ketki, usually a very early contributor.

  

   

5 comments:

  1. I was very annoyed that a very standard English word was rejected. Huh. So it took me a little longer. I like your Outer World phrase. I shall adopt it in future.
    I've tooooo many projects on the go to dare start another one so I'm looking forward to enjoying yours in future weeks. I hope carer situation continues to be satisfactory or even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:10 PM

    The original Dathan hap was indeed Milarrochy Tweed. I think the greeny yellow one you did together second time used different yarn?
    JennyS , running behind on this new KAL but enjoying Allingham very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought of you this morning, Jean, as I read a piece by John McPhee in the newest New Yorker. The first part discusses Wordle. He says he has spent at least 88 years preparing for Wordle. I got it in 4 today. McPhee has labeled levels of Wordle score, and 4 is Autodidact.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:57 PM

    I too tend to recommend more expensive homecare, not less - if you can have more reliable and better trained carers, that will help your daily routines be more stable - which should make things easier for you.
    In Toronto the home care workers tend to be former nurses from the Philippines, so they have a lot of very pertinent skills.
    I am sure Helen will ask many questions with the best intentions. If the new service doesn’t seem to offer what you really need, then she will find another option.
    Long weekend in Canada - we celebrate the monarch’s birthday even if it is not the actual birthday of the monarch. One of those wacky Canadian things. It is also known as the 2-4 weekend in some parts of Canada, as many will be stocking up on cases of beer which are 24 bottles/cans and Victoria Day seems to often fall on 24 May.
    Lisa R-R

    ReplyDelete