Saturday, May 11, 2024

 Another May day.  God hasn’t forgotten how to do it. If it continues another day, I’ll go out, no matter how badly I sleep tonight.  That problem remains to be solved. If lying awake and uncomfortable involved some means of locomotion, I could try going to the window and peering out in hopes of seeing the Northern Lights. But it doesn’t. I’m stuck. 

   Knitting has progressed, however slowly. I did get the balls of yarn for KD’s MKAL  labelled with their letters, A to E. I had forgotten that Milarochy Tweed involves a generous admixture of alpaca. That’s going to be nice to knit. But even if it’s garter stitch all the way, it looks like there’s going to be a lot of it. We shall see. I finished another skein for the Spalding today, too —  that always feels like progress.

   And I continued listening to Kenji. Today it was mostly a chapter about cooking meat. He went on and on and on about beef. If he mentioned lamb at all, I slept through it. Pork came in briefly, and chicken only slightly more. My diet is very low on meat these days, and I trust my butcher — that is, I utterly trust his sausages. I sometimes eat lamb cutlets or even chops. But that’s about it. So that chapter was of small interest. I woke up in the middle of one on vegetables, and have gone back to the beginning of it. But Edinburgh potatoes are not  California potatoes.

Wordle: a lucky three for me today. My starters gave me a green consonant and two brown vowels. It was a considerable struggle to think of any qualifying word, and when I did, it didn’t seem at all likely. But I typed it in, and it was right.

   Mark and Thomas joined me at the head of the class. Rachel, Alexander, Ketki andTheo had four. Five for Roger.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:50 PM

    I wonder where you get your protein if you eat little meat

    ReplyDelete
  2. =Tamar5:24 AM

    No auroras in Maryland. It cleared up tonight for a while but no luck. Too much light pollution and nowhere to drive to unless I had gone early and driven out to the western mountains and hoped for clear skies, but the predictions were not optimistic anyway. It's raining again now.
    I also wonder about your protein. It is rather important, for vitamin B especially.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My father has been prescribed a protein supplement drink by his doctor as he wasn't eating enough. He's eating better now, including mini cheddar cheese snacks from time to time between meals. He needs the calories and the protein and it has made a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:34 AM

    Interesting how different nutrition is for seniors. I’m pretty outdoorsy but was prescribed Vitamin D anyway because seniors don’t absorb that vitamin from the sun like we used to. I was pretty put out that I had to now make special concessions for my age, but I got over it. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had to double my Vitamin D as well, but didn't realize it might be age-related. I figured it was all that sunscreen and long sleeves! I'm a big Kenji fan, myself, and did purchase a knock-off instant read thermometer which I also use in baking.

    ReplyDelete