Monday, May 06, 2024

 Grey, again — but the forecast is better. This is really a bit depressing.

   Lots of quiet event. Knitting went well. I’ve got two more decreases to do on the Spalding sleeve, and I’m halfway to the first of them. 

   KD’s club began as promised. The first pattern is a sweetie — a short-sleeved, short-waisted little loose-fitting jumper for popping on over a dress, or wearing over an impressive shirt, on a slightly-in-between summer’s day, of which we have many. Named for Amanda.

   I enjoyed the first essay, too, about the electric cars of the late 19th c.  Amanda had resurrected one when we first meet her, and was driving it about on power she generated at the family mill. 

  I’ve already re-read the second book, Death of a Ghost, and now feel free to embark on the third, Flowers for the Judge.

  I read an interview with JKRowling this morning. She had the relationship between Cameron Strike and what’s-her-name planned from the beginning. So must Allingham have done, to some extent, with Campion and Amanda. She appears in Sweet Danger and then disappears for a while, although a future alignment is clearly promised. Except  that no author could have anticipated WWII, the necessary background to Traitor’s Purse at the end of which they go off and get married.

   And, oh! I’ve had an email from Melanie Read, hoping that I read her article!

  Helen and David came this morning, on their way to the airport to send him back to Thessaloniki. He is getting pretty tired of this life but doesn’t want to retire while all three sons are relatively unsettled.

   Wordle: a Wordle classic today — four greens and you could keep guessing until the cows come home. Rachel and I failed; Ketki, Alexander and Mark scraped home with sixes; four for Thomas.

    In DC, it was five for Theo and a totally brilliant three for Roger. Everybody except Theo wound up with my conundrum: four greens, and the fourth slot empty. 

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:02 PM

    I'm trying to work out Campion's age. In Sweet Danger he claims to have fought at Rorke's Drift. Can he be joking? Amanda is not yet 18....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:51 AM

      Answering self, Wikipedia says Campion was born in 1900. SO I guess he was joking about Rorke's Drift....

      Delete
  2. I shared your conundrum, and squeaked by with six.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:48 PM

    Did you really have to spoil Traitor’s Purse for those who haven’t read it yet?

    Elaine in NYC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:50 AM

      Actually I have to agree, Elaine. It was all new to me too

      Delete
    2. Anonymous6:17 PM

      I believe the information about the KDD club contains the same spoiler. I knew nothing about Allingham, Campion, et al. prior to reading Sweet Danger for the club, yet I went into it fully aware that Campion and Amanda would marry. I think there comes a point in the life of a book, character, or series where their fate has so thoroughly seeped into the reading public’s consciousness that the idea of spoilers may no longer apply. (Example: What happens to Anna Karenina? And did you know this before you read the novel?) —The Other Kristen, posting as Anon so the system will actually accept it

      Delete
  4. Anonymous8:02 PM

    I failed at wordle today. Grr. Anonymous Janet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waiting for things to be settled could take a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:10 AM

    Thanks for your post today Jean!
    I enjoy reading what is on your mind today, whether i know the authors or topics or not at all. Your lucky readers appreciate the work you do on the blog!
    You write the rules here, it’s your blog.
    Lisa R-R

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had the same trouble with wordle. I'm so relieved to know that the Campion and Amanda situation is resolved; I'm reading Traitor's Purse at the moment. I get too involved with the characters in books, I have decided, and almost want to hide behind the settee when reading, like the scary bits in Dr Who on TV. I'm astonished at how much of the books I have forgotten even though I've read them many times and watched the tv series with Peter Davison. Lugg was truly memorable in the TV version.

    ReplyDelete