Monday, August 06, 2018


My friend and cleaner came back today, after a holiday at home in Rumania. She fell upon the task like Heracles facing up to the Augean Stables, and the house and I both feel much better for her work.

I did a bit more of Rachel’s heel. I think I’ve made a mistake. I’ve lost the ball band of the Pairfect yarn. The pattern consists of broad stripes. When I found myself with the colour I had started with, for the ribbing, I thought that was meant to be the heel.

But it wasn’t. It didn’t even finish the heel flap. It has now been replaced with the main colour in which the whole foot will be done. It’s not a fatal error – Rachel likes socks to be on the short side, and at least the other one will match.

I should get some more done this evening. They’re showing an old episode of Lewis.

There’s more excitement to come this week. Tomorrow is Andrew-and-Andrea day, I think. On Thursday, Jamie Oliver’s new Italian cookery book is due to be published. I’ve pre-ordered. And on Friday Archie and I are going to see Waiting for Godot, probably my one nod to the Festival this year. It was very well reviewed in the Times this morning. Last year we saw Krapp's Last Tape and enjoyed it, to my surprise.

The streets are pullulating with people.

Thanks for comments, as ever. Helen(anon): daughter Helen keeps urging me to get groceries delivered. But I enjoy my little outings to the supermarket, and it’s exercise of a sort.

Pattie, I agree about Midsummer Murders, especially the older ones with John Nettles. I found “Unforgotten” on Netflix this morning, and thought it sounded interesting. I need to figure out, again, how to get Netflix on my television. At the moment, I only know how to watch it on the iPad. I don’t think you knit to TV too much – my problem is that I’m not watching much TV these days, and the knitting suffers.

5 comments:

  1. The current series of "Unforgotten" is a bit of a gruelling watch. Nicola Walker is good as the lead detective, but was better as the troubled daughter/mother in "Last Tango in Halifax." Each of the possible suspects has such a complex back-story that it is hard to keep up, let alone believe.

    My husband is a "Father Brown" fan, and finds it on the Drama channel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are Father Brown (and Midsomer Murders and Death in Paradise and Lewis and Foyle and and and...) fans too - thank heavens for the Drama channel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:10 PM

    I liked Unforgotten a lot. Not sure where we are in the series in the US, but I didn't find it tough going at all.

    Whitechapel I found totally terrifying and I refused to watch.

    Beverly in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. If only I liked Midsummer Murders, I would be set for life. My local PBS channel never seems to tire of offering it to us. Midsummer must be like Wallander's Ystad: the per capita murder rate is such that they must have to drag people in just to have someone to bump off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been swamped with work and not keeping up here. Planning to get to the new Endeavour series soon. Delivery for the heavy basics (flour, sugar, bags of onions) but it is fun to browse for the rest.

    ReplyDelete