Thursday, August 30, 2018


The first Kirigami sleeve is now 11” long, and I have learned how to do the invisible increases so I no longer have to scrabble for the page on which they are described – this is one of those chapter-long Brooklyn Tweed patterns. Or pore over it syllable by syllable. It’s all looking good.

There’s a new Brooklyn Tweed look-book – you probably know already. Based on the theme of folded paper, and pretty wonderful. I was greatly taken by a picture of folded paper by Alison Watt (whom I greatly admire) when I saw it at the Ingleby Gallery early in the summer. I thought I had downloaded it, but don't seem to be able to post.

It costs rather more than I could afford, anyway. And now I could knit Norah Gaughan’s “Foldline” instead:




Jared is one of the very few photographers who can photograph knitting without being embarrassed by the question of what to do with the model’s hands.

Non-knit

I got up Dublin Street to the Portrait Gallery again today – I’m not going to be able to do that much longer. At least it left me guilt-free for the inactivity of the rest of the day. I met my great-niece C. for coffee. She’s getting married in less than a month, and seems to be bearing up well.

Chloe, that’s good advice about hydration, although my problem is not so much fatigue as weakness. Does cider count? I think it would be a good idea to try to drink a lot more water.

7 comments:

  1. Yes, isn't that Norah Gaughan sweater beautiful? I did wonder if perhaps it would look too perfect - like something produced by a machine. I was rather taken by that scarf, also by Norah Gaughan. I see that there are two hats by Gudrun using the Kirigami pattern too. Perhaps this is the collection taking its inspiration from Japan for which they asked for submissions earlier in the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Foldline is lovely, and classic. looks quite doable. Some of her beautiful designs look like more than the lazy knitters wants to take on. (That's me.) The whole collection is inspired by origami, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:43 AM

    Hi Jean, our Senior's Exercise Class instructor recommended plenty of water precisely for weakness. I just checked with the Internet universe and found that WebMD also agrees. It might not work for you, but there is always a chance and it would be such an easy fix if it did. The trick is REMEMBERING to drink. Sorry if I sound too preachy on this subject. I just like to be clear.

    At the same time he has never warned against cider, so I happily go for it myself from time to time:-). Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:51 AM

    Oh, sorry, just realized that I had used fatigue interchangeably with weakness in my first comment. My bad. Definitely meant weakness. (Guess I'm not a good advertisement for "clarity" after all:-)). Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:56 AM

    Oh, sorry, just realized that I had used fatigue interchangeably with weakness. My bad. Definitely meant weakness. So much for my "clarity". Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:02 PM

    Whoops. (Sometimes Comments is slow and it looks like it hasn't registered the original post so I redo it.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Water is water; cider is not water. You can drink cider (which, if alcoholic, is dehydrating), but you must drink water. Take your weight in pounds, divide by two. That’s how many ounces you must drink per day. In the morning, fill containers (water bottles?) with the correct amount and get it down before the end of the day. Add some sea salt to it to get trace minerals. My father followed the practice of “every time you pee, drink a glass of water.” Read reviews of the book “The Magnesium Miracle” on Amazon (there may be more reviews on the US site?).

    ReplyDelete