Wednesday, August 29, 2018


“Pointless” apparently will take to the air again next week, giving renewed meaning to life.

I made some successful hot sauce today – as before, Jamie Oliver’s YouTube recipe, omitting chillis and chilli powder, stirring in my own fermented chilli mash at the end, blitzing with my blender stick. We’ll never know whether fermentation makes the slightest difference, but it's a good sauce.

I’ve done about 6” of Kirigami sleeve, out of 18 ½. I’m in one of those sections: do a decrease round every 12th round 3 times, then every 10th round 4 times, then… I suddenly began to be afraid that I would wind up with a sleeve of simian length, but I did some measuring and calculating and all seems to be well. My row gauge isn’t quite right, as often; and there is a dire warning in the pattern that if that is so, the yoke will come out wrong. We shall see.

Ann sent me this link to Kristy Glass’ podcast with our own Mary Lou as the featured guest. I was terribly grateful, and would have hated to miss it. Mary Lou and I had lunch together on Broughton Street once – quite a few years ago, by now. The podcast is extremely interesting on a number of fronts.

A lot of it is about “Drop Dead Easy Knits”, the excellent book which ML co-authored. I was glad to be reminded of the Polliwog baby sweater (shewn but not named). I knit it for my second great-granddaughter and it might not be too late to knit it again for the third, born earlier this year. (She had a shawl, but we had so hot a summer that they couldn’t have used it much.) Perhaps even with left-over madtosh DK.

At the second great-granddaughter’s Christening, I had the great pleasure of watching her father pull her polliwog on when we were all in the pub having (a delicious) lunch afterwards, and explaining to a friend – not to me – that he particularly liked this one because it was so easy to put on her. Which is the whole point of Mary Lou’s clever design.

We also saw Mary Lou’s Keynote Pullover, and she said something about the pleasure of a yoke sweater in which the yoke is done with a stitch pattern instead of colour. And I thought – Hey!  Yes! That’s the Kirigami!  There are two such in Kate Davies’ wonderful book “Yokes” – but on one of them the yoke is embellished with more than 1000 beads and I am afraid I draw the line there.

2 comments:

  1. Jean it was nearly four years ago! I must get back. Thanks for the kind words! I didn't know Kristy was putting it up, and someone alerted me that it was there. I love hearing that the polliwog is admired by a non-knitter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:38 PM

    You are so productive these days, Jean. Could it be that your fatigue is abating? I heard recently that a big problem for seniors is that we don't drink enough water because we don"t "sense" thirst, and this can cause fatigue. So I bought a package of mini-bottles and I keep one in my purse when I am out and about. I don't have your fatigue, and I do sense thirst, but figure it can't hurt! The Polliwog sounds like a great Hand-me-down for the next baby in the family along with your blankets and baby shawls. It is just so great when our hand knits are actually used as much as possible. Chloe

    ReplyDelete