Thursday, February 07, 2013


Odds and ends, again.

First of all, thank you for steering me to the “Relax” pattern from Amirisu, Sarah.  It was love at first sight – and in the nick of time. This is it. I have abandoned thoughts of a tee-shirt with a yoke knit sideways, Kirigami-style.  I have bought and printed the pattern. It’s got some interesting styling details – not by any means as mindless as it appears at first glance.

I continue to struggle somewhat with EverNote, so I have copied your suggested alterations into my old faithful electronic Filofax, Lotus Organizer.

How would it like having some rolled st st at the bottom to match the neck? In the picture it appears to have a slanty edge at the bottom, although I gather from the instructions that that is an illusion. I sort of fancy the idea. Could I achieve it?

You will be hearing more about this one.

I continued sock-knitting last night. I’ve turned the corner of the Fleegle-Strong heel, enough to see that the foot is too long (this is a toe-up-er) so I’ll have to rip. I think I had this problem the first time I attempted that heel – it adds quite a bit of mileage. This time I’ll measure and make a note in the above-mentioned electronic Filofax of how much distance half of a Fleegle-Strong adds to the foot length, on 64 stitches.

I don’t have to finish the sock before I start the tee-shirt – just get around the heel.

What else?

Brooklyn Tweed has a new book out. It includes an “oversized dolman turtleneck” called “Ives” which has some of the generous droopiness I’m looking for. I’m not tempted – don’t want a turtle neck, don’t want long sleeves. But it also appears to have an uneven hemline. Should I buy the pattern just to see how Jared does that? I knit his “Brownstone” pattern a couple of years ago and I know he can be relied on for meticulous instructions. No – I must have lots of uneven-hemline-patterns lying around here.

The new VK turned up yesterday, the one with Franklin’s pattern in it. Lots of good stuff. I like Wei Wilkins’ No 2 with its Celtic medallion; and I’d love to snuggle down in Mr Teriokhin’s No. 6; and that curved zipper up the front of Chuck Wilmesher’s  No. 26 is breathtaking. I could never do it. I doubt if I’ll ever knit any of them, but I love looking. VK is well out ahead of the pack, in my estimation.

Registration is about to open for the Edinburgh Yarn Festival on March 16. Am I strong enough? I’d like to spend a couple of hours struggling with a drop spindle.

6 comments:

  1. Yes, do go to the Yarn Festival. I tried drop spindling, and had a marvelous time. My finished product was useless, but it was a fun process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:15 PM

    I've had much enjoyment from spinning over the past 10 years or so - and as a bonus, I have learned a LOT about yarn. It has enabled me to understand more about the fiber and twist properties that are suited to certain projects. I've had hits and misses with my spinning, but it is always intersting and informative. And with a spindle, you can keep all your supplies in a shoebox.... for a while anyway.
    Give it a go!
    Beverly near Yosemite - haven't commented lately but still a faithful reader

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:58 PM

    I despair of wearing an uneven hemline. The last knitwear with that feature appeared to be pulled up in front by my feminine assets. No, no - I want it to look like a stylish design feature!
    As a result, I tug on the front hem each time I see my reflection. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah JS5:52 PM

    If you want an uneven hemline in both front and back (i.e. shorter on the left side, longer on the right), mightn't you use short rows? It makes sense in my head, but can't think how to write what I'm thinking without being able to draw a picture ...

    Cheers,
    Sarah JS

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the uneven hemline in Relax is due to the positive ease in the garment which extends well beyond the shoulder. This makes the sleeve and side seam fall lower and created the uneven hem and drape when the arm is hanging at ones side. If the model had extended her arms straight out from the shoulders I think that would be apparent. I did not download the pattern, so I may be wrong about this. If you want an asymmetric as well as non-straight hem, then I think short rows would be one way to get what you want. I agree with Sarah JS that drawing out what you want is the best way to visualize it.

    Don't be too ready to alter the pattern in the way I suggested. Those were based on my body size, which is much larger than yours. I would guess one of the designer's suggested sizes would fit you very well without alteration.

    I just worked on an edging which I might like even better than a rolled edge ( which is a pretty darn nice edge). There is a picture on my Feb. 6 blog entry. I made a fingerless glove, and the cast-on (German twisted) is followed by: Knit 1 row; Garter two ridges; knit 3 rows, garter two ridges, and knit on. I used the same sequence at the wrist, and the finish, ending with EZ's sewn cast-off. It lies flatter than a rolled edge, and doesn't continue to roll...

    ReplyDelete
  6. if you use CHROME browser there is an evernote extension that gives you access to your evernote web account (which is synched with your desktop version). and it gives you a clipper that allows you to clip anything on the web into evernote... easy peasy.

    try it... you will find that evernote is more useful...

    ReplyDelete