Friday, February 08, 2013


Today’s excitement will be picking Archie up at school at lunchtime and driving him to the airport. It’s half-term already; he’s going home to Athens. I’m doing this for fun – he could perfectly well take a taxi. I am getting kinda nervous and old-lady-like about any unfamiliar driving (Drummond Place to Merchiston Castle School now counts as familiar). I have printed out a Google map of the route from the school to the airport, and step-by-step instructions. It's not far. They are both on the same edge of the city. 

Edinburgh Airport to Drummond Place is very familiar.

Knitting proceeded well yesterday. I have taken the sock back and am well advanced with a second attempt at a Fleegle-Strong heel. I have finished winding a skein of madelinetosh sock “Cosmos” – ready for swatching.

I am inclined to think an irregular hem on that tee-shirt might be silly, but I am still somewhat tempted. Kim Hargreaves’ “Cerulean” in her book “Indigo” –one of the patterns with which this quest began – simply knits the back longer than the front. I went back to Brooklyn Tweed and bought his “Ives” pattern after all. It’s knit sideways and looks terribly clever, as you might expect.

The raised front edge is achieved by k2tog four stitches in from the edge, every fourth row, for a while. Jared points out rather firmly at the beginning that you've got to get row gauge right for this one,

I note with respect your warning, Meezermeowmy, that an uneven hem would simply look as if something’s wrong.

I have copied your new comment into Lotus Organizer, Sarah. I like your edging. At the moment, however, I incline towards curl. I’ll do the swatch that way and see, at least, how long it goes on curling.

Thank you for the encouragement about spinning at the Edinburgh Yarn Festival, Lou and Beverly. I have long regretted that I never learned to spin. I am sure, as you say, Beverly, that it would make a big difference to one’s knitting to know – really know, with one’s fingers – how yarn is made. It’s probably too late now, but even a morning with a drop spindle might make a bit of difference.

I’ll think about that when I get back from the airport.

5 comments:

  1. skeindalous12:16 PM

    Spinning is one of those sirens, calling knitters to crash on the rocks of seeking to learn a new fiber skill. I have heretofore resisted! Cannot try to do another thing well. ALthough it is fun to play with, the technicalities are endless. I envy those who can dabble, but not be swept away. The drop spindle may be a safe, pleasant day for you.....OR it may lead to obsession!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you find that you enjoy spinning, a next step might be an electric spinner. The rather new HansenCrafts miniSpinner is a standout in the field. An advantage is that you don't have to coordinate hands & feet. Nor do you have to think about whorl size, etc. The setting of the brake band and the flyer speed do all the work for you. You just turn it on w/ a tap of your toe (on the on/off foot switch) and you're good to go. I think it's a great way for an, um, late-to-the-game spinner to get her new obsession going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CSJ04233:36 PM

    You also might want to take a look at the drop spindle class on Craftsy. I signed up for it and have enjoyed it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BlueAnahit7:04 AM

    I just tried my new drop spindle a few hours ago, and it is a bit like stepping through the looking glass in regards to yarn. I don't think I'll lose my affinity for knitting a something to wear, but I'm enjoying the way it's stretching my brain around a corner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you prefer you could come to the Guild one Saturday (Third Saturday of the month, usually, at Craiglockhart) and I'll teach you to spindle there? Easier parking and a less stressed atmosphere, plus it's a mere £3 for a day visitor. Lots of other nice crafty people to talk to as well.

    ReplyDelete