Monday, October 05, 2015

All continues well, although without much knitting. Private care for three hours a day is to be added to the mix this morning, and Cathy, who is still here, is fully engaged with the problem. Not of knitting specifically, but of free time for me. My husband likes to have me standing around observing when carers are helping him.

I have, however, nearly finished the fourth Dunfallandy square, still without an error. And I have finished the first skein and wound the second – that always feels like progress. Extrapolation suggests that the centre squares and triangles will use just under half the available yarn, leaving plenty, I think, for the border.

There is not much to add. Kate Davies has posted a luscious description of the initial dispatch of her new (unspell-able, unpronounceable) yarn, to people who have signed up for the Seven Skeins Club. I wish I could be part of this, but there's too much going on.

My husband needs a new heavy-ish long-sleeved v-neck sweater. I was surprised yesterday at how difficult such an item is proving to find on-line. He has an old and highly satisfactory one from Woolovers, but the one currently showing on their website looks as if the “v” is too low. Cables are absolutely out, and so is blue – that limits the choice somewhat. Fisherman's rib would be acceptable, I think.


It's enough to drive one to the knitting needles. I think I'll resume the sleeveless vest, anyway, once this fourth square is finished. I'm in reasonably good case for a March baby.

11 comments:

  1. It kind of lessens the point of having carers there if you've still got to stand around watching. Yes you need carers to help with the physical and weightlifting stuff but it's also so that you can get on with other things while the carers are there, including looking after yourself. You will have plenty of time you'll have to spend with your husband outwith this. So don't establish staying with them as a habit, it will just get harder to break later. Unless you want to of course, but just because he likes it doesn't mean it's compulsory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my father broke his leg and needed some help showering we arranged for what we call the "district nurse" to come and help. Most of the time it was a very cheerful young man. They didn't want me around! It gave me a chance to get out and do essential shopping etc.
    I hope for you it is just a matter of getting used to a new routine and your presence won't be required.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patience11:49 AM

    Does this from LL Bean work? Mediumweight rather than heavyweight, though.....http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/64411?feat=502822-GN3&page=bean-s-lambswool-v-neck-sweater

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:24 PM

    This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:35 PM

    This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:59 PM

      Oh dear, sorry about that. I managed to publish my comment twice and also to delete it twice. It was along the lines of how nice it was to see Mr at home with his new puddy tat. And how familiarity and trust would build up with his new carers over the coming weeks allowing Jean to sit back and take time out. All Good Wishes.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous1:52 PM

    Add my name to the comments above. Some good advice there. And good luck to finding a HEAVY-ish v-neck sweater. I am still looking for one here in the States. Maybe a Canadian or Scandinavian or hunting website? Although you may have to plow through acres of circular yokes. Or you may need to consider layers if your husband is agreeable to that. Knitting one seems very time consuming (burdensome) for you right now. If I come across one I will let you know. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. I hope LL Bean has what you are looking for. Top notch store as I'm sure you know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will any of these v-necks do?
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mens-sweaters-~d~153/specdataor~style;v-neck/
    Sierra is one of my favorite sources for commercial sweaters (and shoes, socks, etc.) I have some v-necks from them, and our winters have not been cold enough to wear them for a year or two; I'm hoping for this year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It may just be that he's not comfortable with the carers yet, and feels better having Jean there, which I can understand, especially if the carers are helping with some of the more private tasks we all do (or need done). If he feels frail and vulnerable, Jean probably makes him feel safer.
    That said, yup, does not need to become a habit. If the carers are the same every day, I'd gradually withdraw from supervision over the next couple of weeks, leaving the most sensitive stuff till last.
    If, on the other hand, wanting Jean there is ego-based (wanting the household to revolve around him), then, (excuse the language) frack that.
    Good luck with the sweater hunt. I'd help, but I have no idea where to get a good wool sweater (we don't have many around here in GA). The ones I have came from Goodwill and were meant for yarn recycling (which never quite happened as I found them useful for wearing).

    ReplyDelete