Friday, June 10, 2016

I had some connectivity problems last night and this morning. All seems well now. (If turning it off and on again doesn't work, try the Reset button.) But how bereft one feels, cut off from the world!

I had just begun to allow myself the luxury of the slightest tremor of anxiety, because KD had promised us pictures of the Haps book pouring off the presses, and no such pictures had come. But now they have – I found them yesterday afternoon, buried in Promotions. We are set fair for tomorrow. I've even had an email from her saying that the copy she means to give me, despite my protests, is ready to be handed over on the spot

My sister says she wouldn’t mind the Uncia. That’s Lucy Hague’s wonderful shawl, which I wouldn’t at all mind knitting. Greek Helen has fallen in love with Tomofholland’s contribution, the Hexa. I’ll need to see the pattern before I know how knitterly that one is. I can see myself spending the rest of my life with this book. My sister will be here in a couple of weeks, bringing the discontinued madtosh yarn for my husband’s sweater which will have to be added to the already-prodigious queue.

At least, meanwhile, the Hansel hap proceeds well. Now that I look at the pattern closely, I see that Gudrun does indeed say to knit the final stitch of each row tbl while the diamond-shaped shawl centre is increasing, and through the front of the loops thereafter. Nothing beats reading the pattern with care. I’ve got about 20 rows to go before the half-way point. It’s looking wonderfully cosy already.

When I got done re-reading Sharon Miller’s hap book, I went on to her Lerwick Lace Shawl. I long to be doing that sort of thing again, and I think that might be my choice, rather than the new Jewel Long Shawl. One more for the queue.


Skeindalous, thank you for the quotation from Psalm 139!

2 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful quote from Psalm 139. I don't know much bible (raised Catholic) but that's lovely. I am off today to the fiberarts tradeshow in DC. I'll look for those curved needles and report back. Do have fun tomorrow! I can't wait to see some photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re Jane's comment yesterday. I recently visited a lady, a quilt maker, currently grandmother to ten. She had embarked on the project of making a quilt for each of her future great-grandchildren, at the rate of two per current grandchild. A pile of these were beside her sewing machine. I was lost for words. Too many assumptions there about fertility, let alone the dynastic reach of crafting for future generations.
    I'm with your sister on thinking Uncia the pick of the bunch.

    ReplyDelete