Thursday, April 11, 2019


Archie came round and we did some doorstep gardening. I made good progress with the first sleeve of the baby sweater. I am shortening the sleeve just a little – decreases every 5th round instead of every 6th. I think I’ve said before that sleeves were always too long when I was knitting for my own babies.

Another “Pointless” should see the first sleeve done.

And I thought a bit about Shetland lace, without getting very forrad’er. I’m not sure that I don’t find the Sheelagh shawl a bit boring.

Thank you for your help with my struggles with “Kafkaesque”. I’ll go into Settings and tell my iPad to shut up, Mary Lou. I think my favourite one in “Daniel Deronda” was the description of a coal-mining area where men went about with candies in their hats.

Jenny (comment, day before yesterday), I was delighted to see your reference to “Kirrie dumplings”. Needless to say, I have never before seen the phrase written down. Your version sounds a good deal right-er than my “curry”. I think your guess is right, too, that England is a bit too dry for them. I used to grow them in our English gardens, and was always astonished when we got to Strathardle to see how big and cabbage-like the Scottish ones were.

They grow almost like weeds. Our soil is acid – I think that’s right, although I tend to get the terms confused. The sort of soil that rhododendrons like.

Helen came bursting in yesterday evening with an armload of home-grown daffodils, fresh from Strathardle. Here is a picture she sent from there on Wednesday morning.



I’ve finished “Black Mischief” – far from his best, but time spent with Basil Seal is never entirely wasted. What next? I am attempting Patricia Highsmith’s “Edith’s Diary”, with some misgivings. It’s a Virago Modern Classic, at least. After that I think I will allow myself to return to Trollope.


6 comments:

  1. Very glad to hear that your doctor thinks it is age and not infirmity which is to blame. I'm just reading Kate Atkinson's "Transcriptions" and enjoying it. My husband tells me that Compton Mackenzie also lived on Herm and the Shiant Islands so he got about a bit.

    Oh, and the Andrew Davies version of HKHWR is wonderful, although it does go in for the characters addressing the audience directly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read an extract of Transcriptions and meant to put it on my 'to-read' list, so thanks for the reminder. I'm knitting to re-runs of Sayers TV adaptions on youtube - Gaudy Night at the moment. Came to the conclusion that I didn't like 'The Only Story' by Julian Barnes - the first I had read by him. It was a book club choice. Basil Seal? I haven't tried him yet...
    There have been some very debilitating lurgies around this winter. Colds and coughs and lethargies have lingered on and on. Here's hoping that Spring and fresh green leaves and bluebells (saw them just coming out in woodland in Surrey today) will do the trick - for you and anyone feeling 'done in' by the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are watching GN it must be the wonderful (if abridged) Petherbridge/Walter version.. loved those..and wish they were longer and that they had time to do Busmans Honeymoon... oh well at least we have those. have you seen the original Ian Carmichael ones? wonderfully done for the time period (none of the HV books). may do a bit of a binge watch this weekend... as i only ever watched GOT season one... (and really its just too violent - after a stressful day of work)

      Delete
  3. What a lovely photo! We are having a April snow today, pretty, but I am ready for flowers. My husband just ordered the potatoes. I want to echo others on questioning about Thyroid and not letting the doctor say you are doing well for 85. Sic Helen or your sister on them if needed. I saw some daffodils in the grocery store yesterday and was going to buy them until I saw they were $8.00 for a small bunch. I think I’ll wait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And one more thing, I purchased a knitting belt and took a very brief lesson. Haven’t touched it since. I want to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:42 PM

    Well, I agree with both Shandy AND Mary Lou. On the one hand you aren't shuffling and dragging along like the hunchback of Notre Dame - bet the MD was grateful. What is it about women that they always try to blame our thyroids? I think sic-ing Hellen or your sister on them is a great idea! Don't just accept it! look for a DR. that actually knows something

    ReplyDelete