Thursday, April 04, 2019


Not much, today. The mail didn’t arrive until 1:40, so no walk. I’m not good for much in the afternoon. But the mail did include, as expected, my KnitPro blocking combs.

Such knitting as I did was on the baby sweater. I love variegated yarns and the patterns they make on the fabric. This one looks particularly good in garter stitch in which the upper body is worked. Mary Lou, I have no idea whether working the bottom garter stitch band on fewer stitches (or smaller needles) would discourage it from curling. You’re the designer! But if it blocks flat for you, I’m sure it will for me. And it will provide another outing for the KnitPros.

Reading and life

I spent a lot of time today on the paleography article in the new New Yorker. Most interesting.

I do agree, Shandy, that “The Claverings” is not Trollope’s best, and that we can see the resolution coming as soon as the fishing expedition is mooted. But he remains a most pleasant author to spend time with. I still can't quite say the same for "Daniel Deronda".

I keep meaning to thank you again for putting me on to “Duolingo”. I worked all the way through it whenever that was. I can’t remember what drew me back recently to have another look – but I find that they have completely re-done it, and it's better than ever, so I am working my way through again. I have learned the Italian word for “shark”, at least.

Archie and I sowed beetroot and rocket (=arugula) this morning. I will never be able again to wander outside and see what’s for dinner, but at least there may be something out there on the step to bring to the table. James has become an ardent gardener now that he is a south London householder, but I cannot persuade him yet that the summit of gardening pleasure is to be found in vegetable-growing.

4 comments:

  1. I’m so behind on my New Yorkers, I have given all but the last few to a neighbor who enjoys getting them. AT least I can find the articles on my iPad. Last year some arugula self-seeded, I hope to have that pleasure again. I used to be a mostly flowers gardener, but when we moved to this house with a large full sun back area, the vegetables have taken center stage. My husband does most of the hard work, I must confess. Maybe when I retire I can catch up on the New Yorkers and do more in the garden aside from harvesting and cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin (in California)3:44 AM

    I keep thinking I will get to read my New Yorkers. Maybe tomorrow. We just moved from a house to a condo with a small yard. I have planted tomatoes in pots. Will have to try some greens for salads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Duolingo? I was using it to brush up my German after a fifty-five year gap. I reached twenty per cent fluency but this proved inadequate for constructing actual sentences on our trips to Germany and Austria so I lost heart. I was better on a simple reading series. I admire your persistence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember a TV show from the 1990’s called (I think)”The Ornamental Kitchen Garden” featuring Geoff Hamilton. In that garden he combined veggies, fruit, flowers, a small lawn and even a water feature. It was beautiful and functional, I wish someone would rebroadcast the series I need some inspiration the only thing that seems to grow in my garden are hostas and weeds.

    ReplyDelete