Tuesday, April 30, 2019


Oh, dear – May. Here it is. I love it so much that I’m sorry to see it come. I’m far happier looking forward to it.  Although C. rightly points out that in a few days we can start seriously counting down to our 2020 cruise, which sets sail in early May next year.

Andrew and Andrea today, with the happy news that they now have enough patronage that he has given up his day job. The main interview was with Jillian Moreno, all about wool and its qualities and very interesting. At the end we had perhaps half-an-hour from this year’s EYF and I nearly wept. Probably never again, for me. It was almost too much for my strength this year, and next time – if there is one -- I’ll be nearly 88. Clearly the gap will be a big disappointment, too, for many of the exhibitors.

I have a small, private sorrow about that gap. I met one of you in the early-morning queue to get in, two years ago. She recognised me by a clue I had advertised here on the blog. She lives on Loch Fyne, not all that far from Alexander and Ketki. Last year we met by arrangement and had a sandwich lunch together,

This year, we had planned to go out for a proper lunch of serious soup in a restaurant she knew. We had to cancel because of bad news. But then we had better news, and rescheduled for 2020. Alas! it is not to be.

On a more cheerful note, I have made good progress with the scarf, and even wondered if I would know the pattern well enough by then to take it along to Lerwick. I think not – it will never be entirely suitable for knitting in company with strangers, because of having to pay attention, and it’s bulky and will become increasingly so. I’ll stick with the usual travel socks.

But how lucky I am to have hit on so suitable a yarn as I tottered feebly about the EYF marketplace!

I found a message from KD today in my Promotions file. A lot of it was about her Pabaigh pattern – a tee with a funnel neck, in Millarochy Tweed. What about just knitting that, with the stripes in st st? But, JennyS, I think my heart is with you – another Dathan hap, and it will be completely different and equally wonderful.

5 comments:

  1. Maybe your friend could come over for the day and still have lunch next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's just what I thought! And perhaps sooner than next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Socks are always good travel knitting. Or some other stockinette in the round. I keep thinking when you talk about the Dathan Hap that I have to open my bin of Shetland weight and start planning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:27 PM

    I am getting to the point where when my husband philosophically smiles and says oh well, next year I can't philosophically smile in return. Hopefully there will be a next year but not without threat of broken hip, advanced arthritis, or some other senior malady. So I share your major disappointment about EYF, Jean. Doing fun things NOW has become my mantra. (And alas not always possible.) Maybe you can substitute something else knitworthy at that time next year? perhaps you can meet your friend at some other location, like a yarn shop? So glad that at least you still have that cruise! Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:36 PM

    Oh my, when I started my Comment there were no others posted. Looks like my-friend-for lunch idea has not only been suggested but already been seconded. Obviously, we are sending some strong hints! Chloe

    ReplyDelete