Thursday, April 25, 2019


Well, if it’s not one thing, it’s another. There’s not going to be an EYF next year. Jo and Mica are exhausted (understandably) and want some time off.

I think it’s a mistake to stop when you’re on a roll. This might be the moment to think out a sustainable plan for the future, including staff to take some of the weight from their shoulders. Or the moment to sell out to Vogue, who knows? But no EYF!!!!!!!

Gardening

The baby strawberry plants I mentioned yesterday turned up this morning bright and early. Archie came somewhat later, and we got them planted. I’m very pleased with them:



The big pot on the right contains a very small apple tree, with a single burst of flower. In the back row is a pot of salad leaves (nothing above ground yet) and a clematis which turned up on the doorstep one day like a stray kitten.

That leaves only the mint pot to do – I’ve ordered new mint, and mean to turn the pot out altogether and start again. And there are still the potatoes to plant. We’ll have to go back to Homebase for another bag of compost. I hope to get it all done before setting sail for Lerwick.

Knitting

Thank you very much indeed for help and advice. I have gone with the wider scarf. Weavinfool, the scarf is knit flat, with a pattern which Gaughan recommends as looking good on both sides (and she’s right). Yes, I could just widen the edging, but I think it will look neater with a narrow one. I visualise this as a big cosy scarf which a young man might wrap twice around his neck and wear instead of a coat, at least to rugby matches when it isn’t actually snowing.

I should start on the intarsia part of the design tomorrow. Charting numbers is easy these days – they’re all on-line. And for the cup, I can just use half of an image I have used before. Recently! at that.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:48 AM

    No EYF. That IS devastating. But you can understand their fatigue. It must be a year of intense work. Perhaps someone else will take over on alternate years (like leaving fields fallow to renew themselves, etc.). A lot of the groundwork has already been laid, so it might not be so overwhelming. I sure hope so. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:20 PM

    Knit East, a conference in New Brunswick, Canada, is run by Cricket Cove, a yarn shop. Its wonderful, but only happens every other year. I'd rather have it less frequently than not at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I attend a work related conference that is held roughly every 18 months, so it isn’t always the same time of year, either. Don’t know how that would work for a yarn festival. Your doorstep garden is charming, and way ahead of mine.

    ReplyDelete