Tuesday, April 02, 2019


I progressed as before on all three knitting-related fronts. The weaving-in is now virtually finished. The binding-off will require two more sessions, perhaps. The baby sweater has reached that dispiriting stage where I can knit round and round as much as I like without seeming to affect the overall length.

Archie and I toiled up Broughton Street this morning to execute some business at the bank, easily transacted. Then we took advantage of our newly-achieved distance above sea level to walk across the street and look at computers and television sets in John Lewis. Goodness, how technology is sweeping on! Then when we got home, there was one of those maddening post cards from the Royal Mail saying that they had failed to deliver something – very likely, my new KnitPro blocking combs. I have rescheduled the package for Thursday.

And later I had a grand time with Andrew and Andrea, who told me all about the Edinburgh Yarn Festival.

Including Katie Green. I had been meaning to tell you about her page of delightful knitting cartoons in the EYF free guide. But A&A found the real woman, and inspired me to want her tea towel covered with various breeds of sheep.

The main interview-ee was Jean Steinglass, an American who knits and designs round-yoked sweaters in stranded knitting. Very nice, too, but not nice enough to tempt me away from Kate Davies.

Reading

“Daniel Deronda” has picked up a bit now that – spoiler alert – Gwendolyn has accepted Grandcourt. The book is one of those that has been translated into free-Kindle format by machine. The not-infrequent passages of nonsense make the reading experience all the more exciting.

Recently a character left a country house because it had become “too hot for him”. I wouldn’t have expected the phrase in that sense (not referring to meteorology) for another 50 years.

5 comments:

  1. Sometimes I put a pin or marker in a row so I can see that I have, in fact, made progress. I recently finished a sweater with 16” of stockinette in the round, 40” diameter, and hours of knitting left me feeling as though I had done nothing. The pin helped. Glad the weaving in is done. I look forward to seeing the hap. I have so many single skeins of Shetland wool, that might be just the solution. Or I can keep it in a bin for another 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knitted Jen Steingass's pattern "Arbororeal". It was an easy knit with a lot of impact. I don't really like knitting top-down and in the round though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:47 AM

    I am really interested in how you will like your blocking combs. Especially if you have already tried the wires and can compare. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:21 PM

    Love how "Arboreal" looks great in every color combo people knit it in. Not every pattern has that capacity to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was astonished at reading the word 'electrified' in Northanger Abbey. It sent me on an internet search for the origins of the word. Associated with amber and static electricity... who knew?

    ReplyDelete