Saturday, April 13, 2019


I woke up this morning to hear the nice lady on the radio give the time in Greenwich Mean, just as my cable television did yesterday. Unnerving. Had she been right, I could have stayed in bed another hour before Skype-ing to Rome. 

I’ve just been looking back at this blog in April, 2009. That was the year of my nephew Theo’s wedding. That was also the year in which I figured out that my lamentable tendency to eat chocolate in Lent was a substitute for the carbohydrate in cider. That year I cut out both, and lost an agreeable amount of weight. I’m pretty sure I adopted a cut-down version of cider drinking after Easter, and tried to avoid refined sugar altogether, and went on losing weight. I was quite svelte at the wedding.

I hoped the blog might tell me exactly what that reduced-cider regime was, but no. It’s all about knitting the Princess shawl, and growing vegetables. This year, I've only lost 3 or 4 pounds.

Thank you for your help with my shawl-search. Mary Lou, I think I may have your hap book: Sharon Miller published a paper-bound large-pamphlet-style essay on the subject, which I’ve got. Laura, I’ve had a look on Ravelry, too. It works better there if I limit the search to “Shetland lace”. Not without interest. Cat, I think I’ve got the “Queen Susan” pattern. Challenging, as you say!

The more I wander, the more I think I might attempt Sharon’s “Spring” shawl. I do like the triangular shape. It might even be possible to reduce it in size slightly. I probably won’t live to finish it, but so what. It was encouraging to see how much I found to say about the Princess-in-progress, back in 2009.

I also found a reference to a variety of courgette marketed as suitable for container-growing on one’s patio. I wonder if that’s still available. Courgettes (=zucchini) are great fun to grow although a bit boring to eat.

No knitting yet today, not much reading, a pleasant Italian lesson. Shandy, I found HKHWR and watched a bit of it. And enjoyed it. But I don’t think I’ll go on. The thing to do is to read another Trollope.


10 comments:

  1. Thompson and Morgan do a variety called Midnight which is suitable for pot growing.
    https://www.thompson-morgan.com/top-10-crops-for-pots

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean, I knit the Spring Shawl back in 2007-08. I think it was my last piece of fine lace knitting....I knit it in red, you can see it on my Ravelry page https://www.ravelry.com/projects/MaureeninFargo/1-ply-spring-shawl.
    Unlike the Princess it is knit center-out and it is pretty big, as you can see in the photo....you know how tall I am. I very much enjoyed knitting it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:07 PM

      Wow is right! Beautiful execution, as always! :-D
      Laura

      Delete
  3. Anonymous1:14 AM

    I was reading an item about the Suffolk Vicar (House of Brede meditations) in which he stated that he limits his alcohol consumption to 1 pint a day during Lent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Martha in Texas2:53 AM

    Have you ever seen Mmario’s Designs? He has some beautiful lace patterns. He passed away this year or the end of the last. I think his patterns are fed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:56 AM

    Westons Vintage Cider is about the same alcohol content as a light wine. But we don't often serve cider in anything as smallRr as a wine glass.

    I guess if you reduced your daily consumption by a fixed percentage, or drank your preferred quantity every other day,you would be moving in the direction the doctors would prefer. And dark chocolate has iron in it, which can be useful if one is not a big eater of red meat, eggs and spinach. Cider one day, dark chocolate the next? Trial and error will probably give you a system you are comfortable with.
    JennyS
    JennyS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Courgettes - dull to eat? grated, and stir fried with some finely chopped onion and garlic is one of my favouriitist eats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:37 PM

    Hi Jean I have a nice recipe for pickled courgettes tastes similar to sliced gherkins. Lovely with cold meat and salad. Useful for keeping up with the supply as they grow so fast and easy to make.Beverley in NZ

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jean, do you have a "spiralizer"? Spiralized zucchini is a great low-carb/low-calorie substitute for spaghetti or noodles. I like to Stirfry it a bit in some olive oil first, with or without seasoning (depending on what it’s accompanying).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like to grill zucchini - you could oven roast it for the same effect. I am such a lazy knitter - I buy things like the Sharon Miller publications, have a browse, and put them on the shelf. Something like the Dathan hap with all my leftover (or unused) Shetland might be as far as I get!

    ReplyDelete