Sunday, February 21, 2021

 C. came, and we walked twice around the garden on a beautiful spring day. Everything was in bright focus. 2815 steps so far today. I had a good Zoom meeting with my sister at midday. I followed my own advice and made myself some pasta puttanesca this evening, and found it very restorative. Knitting has progressed to the first rounds of (what I hope will prove to be) the final ribbing for the Evendoon.

 

That pretty well covers things. My sister recommended The Forsyte Saga (Galsworthy). I can remember when the whole nation was transfixed by the television adaptation – it was in the late 60’s, I think, before we (the Mileses) had television. It might well make comforting, slightly sub-Trollope reading.


Beverly (comment yesterday), the problem with Thursday’s Mindful Chef meal was that I found it simply inedible: meant to be a quick meal: tempeh, pre-cooked rice, carrot, red pepper fried up together, soy sauce; kimchi on top (that’s what had attracted me). Tempeh is absolutely tasteless, it turns out. I cut the carrot up small, and left it stir-frying long enough to take away some of the crunch. But the total effect was…well, inedible. And having gone to that much effort, I didn’t feel like doing anything else. A mistake.

 

The pandemic numbers are going down, here and in the US. C. and I are hopeful that we may actually be allowed to go on the cruise we have booked, sailing May 1. Third time lucky. This is a small-boat cruise, the Majestic Line, sailing from Oban to the upper left-hand corner of Scotland, billed as a “wilderness cruise”. We were booked to go last May, and on a different Majestic Line cruise in October, of more modest dimensions. Neither happened, although in the latter case we got close enough that I ordered some cruise clothes. There’s not much call for them, walking up and down the hall or even round and round the garden. But if we actually sail this time, I might add one or two items.

5 comments:

  1. =Tamar8:23 PM

    Shandy's point from yesterday about your meds is a good one. Skipping dinner is not on. A train of thought leads me to wonder whether you eat differently on cider days, and whether you also drink less water.
    Still, twice around the garden in sunshine! It's sunny again here as well, for a day or two at least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunny here yesterday and 22F! With no wind it felt downright tropical. I watched a more recent version of the Forsythe Saga with Gina McKee and Rupert Graves. I believe it is available for streaming. I've never read the books. Will C be able to be vaccinated by May! I wonder if that will be a requirement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:24 PM

    Yes, that boxed meal does sound sort of sad. Maybe they thought the kimchi would add enough flavor, but it really needed garlic, ginger, onion in the stirfry to give it some oomph.

    Oh well, it sounds like you are back on track now.

    I'm so hoping you can go on your cruise!

    Beverly in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cruising from Oban northward - I am so envious. I hope you get to go this time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still with the Pallisers and imagining Susan Hampshire once again as Lady Glencora. But she was also luminous as Fleur in the Forsyte Saga. Only one beauty at a time in those days.

    ReplyDelete