Thursday, February 04, 2021

 

Comments

 

Kirsten, quite aside from i-cord edging, you were right about the falls alarm. I tried to leave a reply to your comment, but failed due to technicalities which it would have taken you to explain. The alarm went off at 5am today (almost time for breakfast) and when I explained to the woman who answered, what was happening, she said it was the battery and that someone would bring me a new one today. In fact they brought a whole new machine.

 

Jean(fromCornwall), I was pleased to be reminded of the old saying about Candlemas. I have long assumed – without doing the slightest bit of research into the matter – that “groundhog day” is simply an American attempt to retain the old tradition but scrub it clean of its Christian connotation. It makes far more sense as an English superstition – groundhog day always puzzled me as a child. Where we lived (Utah, Detroit, the Jersey shore) there were obviously six more weeks of winter, after February 2. Whereas here, it’s more problematical. The weather is miserable at the moment, but there are buds on the daffodils in Drummond Place Gardens, just standing there patiently waiting. And the place is jolly already with snowdrops and winter aconites and hellebores.

 

2226 steps, so far today. Archie was my "walker". And I’ve done the first two scallops of edging down the fourth and final side of Gudrun’s hap.

 

I progress with “A Perfect Spy”. It’s long.

 

Tomorrow will be my first day of what might be called licensed cider-drinking since 2020. I have set up my app – the one where I paste a virtual picture of a teacup on the date to celebrate every “dry” day – for four days dry, three days cider per week in February. Now comes the hard part.

3 comments:

  1. My Hellebores have been out and lovely since Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A reading suggestion for you if you haven't read it already - The Sisters The Saga of the Mitford Family by Mary Lovell. I couldn't put it down. I read 500+ pages in 2 days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Groundhog Day is European as well, though some look for hedgehogs and others look for bears, badgers, or marmots. It's a cross-quarter day, halfway between the solstice and the equinox.

    ReplyDelete