Saturday, May 28, 2022

 What happened today? Nothing, as usual. C. came to see me, with the friend who drove us to and from Oban for our cruises last year. 

Kirsten, I adopted your suggestion for the knitting and put in a marker at the start of play. It helps a lot. I’ll have to move it tomorrow, alas, but meanwhile it is a stern reminder of what I have actually accomplished. I think the side-seam markers had been luring me into a false sense of achievement. 7 1/4” so far. The first ball of yarn should certainly expire tomorrow — and since I wound two for the cast-on, as recently discussed, I can continue without a pause.

Beverly, yes, (comment yesterday): our new co-resident, Mary, from Harris, spoke nothing but Gaelic until she started school. 

There is an article in the Financial Times today about those automatic feeding gadgets you can buy for cats. The fanciest one of all has “Fort Knox-like security levels [which] keep moisture out and kibble fresh  for two-odd weeks…..But please don’t leave your cat alone that long.”

That’s what I’ve done. They’re not alone-alone, but they’re without me.




9 comments:

  1. I think they mean really alone alone, with no visitors. Your have the pleasure of someone coming to see them, I think. It wont be long now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:59 PM

    Your cats are counting the days until you return. They are psychic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:00 AM

    p.s. Anonymous is Janet in Seattle

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very interesting to have a native Gaelic speaker as a housemate! Perhaps, when the time comes, I will find a care home in Edinburgh & hope for such a friend.

    It sounds like you are making good progress on the knitting, whether it seems so or not.

    Beverly in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:47 AM

    As long as someone comes daily to feed, the cats will understand that they are not forgotten and will be confident that you will soon return.
    Meanwhile, three cheers for all that knitting. Enjoy your new housemate, and I hope you get many visitors. Wimbledon will start soon, I think.
    JennyS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kirsten7:49 AM

    I expect the cats are spending their days a bit like you; dozing, eating, talking (to each other) but I hope they aren't doing any knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:57 AM

    Please do not feel guilty about your cats. You will be better able to care for them once you have built up your own strength.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary Lou2:41 PM

    All thoughts of knitting are put aside as I watch the weather. We are supposed to get a brief heavy rain with hail possible. My Tree Peony is blooming magnificently and I fear for it. I’m planning to run out and hold a big umbrella over it like some madwoman!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4:51 PM

    Hi Jean,
    I, like you, have embarked on a cardigan for myself that is all stockinette. You are right, progress seems negligible. I am making decreases every 5 rows and I put a safety pin in for keeping track, so I can see my progress. The fabric is lovely as is the color, but it is boring. As I knit primarily while watching TV it is fine. But I will be glad to be done with it some month....
    It sounds like the care home is just fine for now and the new resident should add a bit of spice to the mix. You will be home with your kitties before you know it.
    Thanks, as always, for the update.
    Sarah in Manhattan

    ReplyDelete