Friday, July 07, 2023

 It has been a fairly busy day — a series of morning callers, including a doctor and concluding with C. and a mutual friend we met on our first Majestic Line cruise. Then an afternoon of tennis. The activities director awakened me from a doze in front of the set at one point to invite me to a talk on chocolate. Yesterday the subject was Anne Frank. 

I resumed knitting.I had forgotten how long those rows are. The pattern is simple but (for the row I did) slow, because of having lots of k3togs. The next row is all ssk and k2togs and ought to be easy, if I can get the rhythm right. I’ll try again in the morning. This goes on for 10 rows, of which I’ve done two. 

I am no stronger, and don’t know quite how to approach things. I “really” had pneumonia once, thirty years ago. I had a high fever then and felt as if my chest was full of lead. I was finally set free with an injection of penicillin or something of the sort and have been grateful to Alexander Fleming ever since. The experience this time has been totally different in every respect. Will I ever be strong enough to go home? What will happen to my cats? I had better make a serious  effort to start walking up and down the hall tomorrow.

Wordle: we found it fairly easy today. Alexander and his son Thomas scored four. Everybody else — including me, I am pleased to report — got it in three.


9 comments:

  1. Mary Lou9:07 PM

    I detest k3tog. I find them fussy and annoying! I think 30 years ago bacteria were easier to fight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:50 AM

    I also often have problems with k3tog, especially without a very sharp needle tip.
    I tend to slip 1 purlwise, k2tog, and psso.
    Have a good walk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:51 AM

    oops that comment was from Lisa RR, Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  4. =Tamar3:25 AM

    k3togs are a nuisance. What I have done is: insert the right needle as if to k3tog, remove the left needle from all three, replace that last stitch from the right needle onto the left, thus effectively having slipped two. Then knit that one stitch and pass the two slipped stitches over. Probably it makes no great difference how it is done.

    The cats are being taken care of. Talk with your physio person about your concerns about your rate of progress. You have been handling callers and have resumed knitting and regular blogging. That's progress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Convalescence is a real stage in recovery; it is a bit 1 step forward, 1 back, then 2 forward 1 back... in the old days one went to a convalescent home and sat on a terrace looking out to sea while nurses brought delicious little meals on a tray, and one rested every day... or is that my imagination???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:40 AM

    What an interesting post. I never do k3tog - I just do knit 1 , knit 2 tog, psso. It's hard to see the difference, and I am sure it would pass the "galloping horse test".
    Your most recent pneumonia was definitely a "real pneumonia" , or it would not have rated a couple of weeks in hospital. It probably felt different to the one 30 years ago because this one would have affected you at an earlier stage and so you were already on a series of antibiotics relatively quickly.
    It is sadly true that people do not recover as quickly when they are older. Also being confined to bed when you are over 70 does make the muscles weaken quite quickly. So I think it would be normal for you to feel tired and weak for quite a while. The important thing is that you are improving mentally and in terms of internal energy, and that you WANT to get physically stronger. I am sure in another two or three weeks you will have become much more mobile.

    Very best wishes for the continuing recovery progress. The programme of talks sounds interesting, and suggests that there must be residents who are able to appreciate them. I wonder if they ever have live music?
    JennyS

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apart from the effects of the antibiotics, you have been off your food for a while. It will take some time to recover strength, but small steps will be worth taking. So glad that you are back knitting as that will help you to feel more like yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder if you have ever read Betty Macdonald's 'The Plague and I', a very light hearted book about her prolonged stay in hospital after having TB.
    Sadly, convalescence takes time, and patience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous5:12 PM

      I really enjoyed The Plague and I. Glad you reminded me of it. JennyS

      Delete