Monday, July 17, 2023

 And today Wimbledon is all over, for another 50 weeks. 

It has been a fairly productive day in a way. A physiotherapist came and we did some mild exercises and she said I was stronger than I had been last week. She might be right. I got to and from both meals without being pushed. I will assume that as the norm henceforth. C.came to see me.

Knitting went well. I have finished those 10 dreadful patterned rows and embarked on the two rows of plain knit to finish off. And I can tell you that for the first border, a quarter of the whole, the stitch count is precisely right. Some shawls of this ilk reduce the stitch count before starting the edging (or increase it after the edging, if you are working in the other direction). Not this one.

I am reading David Lodge’s “Changing Places”, recommended for a re-read in the weekend Times. I have,  indeed, read it before but cannot remember a syllable except for a game called Humiliation. You name a famous book you haven’t read. Each of the other players then says whether or not he or she has read it, and you score one point for each one who has. I would be useless at it these days because I can’t remember whether I’ve read anything or not. David Copperfield?

Wordle: five for me today. Rachel and Theo joined me there. Ketki, Thomas, Roger and Mark were the fours. Alexander was the winner with three. 


3 comments:

  1. I saw an advert today for Felix Catford where the cat fell into a contented dream involving ruining some knitting, tangling wool and a fishy on a dishy, purring all the time, and instantly thought of your cats. Our cats were not interested in wool !!!!! But my Oma's poodle was a menace and had to be cut free after tying himself to the piano pedals with red wool. I wish I had kept her scribble sketch....
    My, you are making progress, bothphysically and knittingly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. =Tamar5:19 AM

    Huzzah for progress all around!
    Those enormous lists of "100 best/ must-read /etc" books get me. I usually have read most of them but there are always questions - did I really read War and Peace, or did I just watch the movie 60 years ago? Does it count if I know I read it but can't remember a thing about it? Some books are forgettable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:42 PM

    David Lodge was the author of a book of essays I was editing at the University of California Press and I had to ring him up for something. He was delightful. I told him I'd gone to graduate school at Johns Hopkins when Stanley Fish, the inspiration for Morris Zapp in Changing Places, was teaching there. I said I could no longer tell the difference between Stanley Fish and Morris Zapp. David replied, "Nor can Stanley." Eileen in Chapel Hill

    ReplyDelete