Tuesday, July 11, 2023

 Today it was me who was off and on, perhaps because I had no nap. People kept coming in to offer coffee or bingo or the taking of my pulse or clean laundry while I tried to watch tennis. Now I’m ready for bed.

I got perhaps a row of knitting done today. Is it interesting that nobody here seems to knit? The vast majority are grandmothers and great-grandmothers, the traditional knitters. Old enough to have come to maturity (like me) during the war or shortly afterwards, when everybody knit.

…..That much I wrote for you yesterday, and didn’t mean to post. At that point I was overcome with exhaustion and needed all my strength to crawl into pyjamas and dissolve into sleep. In the hospital, and indeed in Drummond Place, I needed paracetemol to help me sleep. I have scarcely given it a thought here.

I’ve had a thot: if I am still here for my birthday in mid-August, we can have sandwiches and champagne at Helen’s house (although Helen and David will be in Greece, as previously explained). And that way Perdita will be a member of the party. My dear cat. Alexander hopes that I will be back in Drummond Place by then with all cats restored. He is not fond of Paradox, who is boarding with him.

KirstenM, comment Monday, about that door in Drummond Place. I haven’t seen it for a while, obviously, (it is over on the other side, and towards the other end). But when I did see it, the colour certainly wasn’t Drummond-Place-worthy. I think it was the householder who fed the press that story.

Wordle: threes and fours yesterday, with a distinguished two from Mark. Today was much the same. I scored an undistinguished four, where I was joined by Thomas and Roger. Rachel, Alexander, and Mark were the best, with threes; Theo was worst, with five. No news from Ketki — she usually posts early.



5 comments:

  1. Mary Lou2:02 PM

    I hope you got a bit of a walk in, even without a nap. (Are we naggers?) I'm quite surprised that there are no knitters! A recently met a woman in her 80's who sold her home in Massachusetts and moved here to be near her daughter. She is living in a senior building and is thrilled there is an active knitting group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:21 PM

    Certainly the Internet has a lot to do with the current knitting enthusiasm. I am of grandmother age and was taught by my mother when I was 12 but didn’t really catch the knitting bug until j-u-s..t before the knitting explosion on the Web (about 2 years before Ravelry) which really fueled a lot of us. Have you asked your ladies if they are active on the Internet? Maybe there are some latent knitters among them. So glad to see you being more spry! Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:32 PM

    Jean, I was tidying an old pile of printed knitting patterns this afternoon, and found a copy of the "found poem" from your 80th birthday ten years ago. Serendipity?
    JennyS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drummond Place; I have to agree that Bubblegum pink and dayglo green seemed pretty outlandish colours for a front door in a conservation area. I'm not surprised that the exasperated council told her to paint the door white! I'm glad you couldn't see the door from your own windows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. =Tamar9:29 AM

    It can be annoying when people keep interrupting. It's good that you are sleeping better.
    I was astonished when the local knitting shop closed, as it was in a college town and college was traditionally when many young women learned to knit. I guess all the perseverance and pattern-making was redirected into programming computers. Still, it's surprising to me when people my age don't know how.
    So many people now are having to learn things as adults that we used to learn as children as a matter of course--knitting, sewing on a button, hemming up trousers, etc. I guess having to work two jobs to get by doesn't leave much time for crafts.

    ReplyDelete