Tuesday, April 16, 2019


Alexander came over from Glasgow and we tottered around the garden together. Helen will come tomorrow (not that I can’t do it alone). Otherwise, it was a day of unexpected endings.

Here is the baby sweater, as yet unblocked:



I finished it while watching Andrew and Andrea. A good episode, as almost always, with Woolly Wormhead the principal guest. I took her class at the EYF maybe three years ago, and can remember but little of it. Her hats are most inventive, however, and she is an attractive character. I wasn’t so keen on the other designer, and I hope Andrea won’t really make Andrew learn to do complicated intarsia pictures in double knitting.

But that left me with the question of what to knit right now. I can’t cast on the Calcutta Cup scarf without first charting the half-cup and “2019” to see how many stitches I need. I think the thing to do is to print the simple pattern for that Shetland edging required for my Wool Adventure, and look out yarn and needles. Do that at the energetic beginning of the day. Start knitting in front of Pointless.

Fortunately I did at least have a pair of Emergency Socks. I knit them.

The other thing I finished was the book by Tessa Hadley. I don’t think I’ll go on with her. Top of the pile amongst my downloaded Kindle books was Ruth Rendell’s “Portobello” so I started that. I’m not absolutely sure I haven’t read it at some point in the past. But not recently, because Amazon won’t let me buy a book for the Kindle a second time. I’ve often tried. This must be a recent purchase, to be there on top.

She does make one feel that one has trusted one’s valuable leisure into the safe hands of a master. But I must plan the next step soon, so that the end doesn’t take me by surprise again.

Here is a picture of my cats. Notice that the younger one, who is something of a bully, has got the blanket to sleep on, and the spot at the warmer end of the Aga.



4 comments:

  1. I've spent the day with my (90 yea old) godmother who used to knit for Jamie and Jessie Seaton; whenever we visit she is always wearing one of their complicated intarsia designs involving fine details,in double knitting and too many colours. Beautiful, but so complicated; too much for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:49 AM

    The sweater is a very lovely color! Could you find something to give Perdita to sleep on? Or would that disturb the natural order of things. I love that knitting is a very democratic skill. You can go very simple to very complicated and any which way still have a beautiful result. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to a baby wearing the sweater! I’m not a fan of instarsia myself, it has no flow, which is part of the allure of knitting in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a cozy warm place for your cats... is there not a towel or something for the other side... or perhaps the older cat (i forget the name sorry) doesnt like a blanket/towel to lay on?

    ReplyDelete