Wednesday, April 17, 2019


Forward. Here’s the baby sweater, blocked:


(I rotated the image but couldn't figure out how to save it in its new orientation. They keep changing the rules.)


And I’m about half way through the edging for my hap class in Shetland. It’s as simple as it could possibly be: a six row pattern, action on both sides, up and down from seven stitches to ten and back.

The outer edge doesn’t look as bumpy as I would like. Should I actually block it? Or would that be too Goody-Two-Shoes?

(Thinking along those lines reminds me that I went in search of Franklin’s essay on “The Ten Knitters You Meet in Hell” the other day, and discovered that it seems to have disappeared – presumably swept away with the Twist Collective in which it appeared. That’s a considerable loss to knitting literature. I hope it will re-surface one day.)

Whatever I decide about blocking, it will be finished soon. I had better get the knitting graph paper out and start on half-Calcutta-Cups.

Mary Lou, (comment yesterday), some of Kaffe’s early patterns, notably “Tumbling Blocks” and its later derivatives (from “Glorious Knitting”, which I think may have been called something else in the U.S.) -- succeed in getting some flow even into intarsia. Knit them with yard-long lengths of yarn which you just pull through the tangle, as he recommends.

Reading

I must be near the end of Rendell’s “Portobello”. I’m still enjoying it. Trollope next.

10 comments:

  1. I am currently enjoying the 1982 Barchester Chronicles on You Tube, having been impressed by "Northanger Abbey" and been surprised by a Mansfield Park" starring Billie Piper which bore only a passing resemblance to the original. If you wanted to brush up your Spanish, some of them come with sub-titles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying Angela Thirkell, she always makes me chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I downloaded and saved the Ten Knitters - would you like me to send it through to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too. please? i had no idea they were not keeping up the twist website at all!

      sogalitno at gmail.com
      thanks

      Delete
  4. I assume the edging you’re knitting is for Donna Smith’s class...I remember thinking the same thing about the points on mine as I knitted it. I didn’t block it, figuring it would be blocked upon completion. Of course I never fully completed mine, I did all the knitting in class but not the grafting and there it still sits, almost a year later....as do most items I knit in any class I take.......unfinished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn’t realize all the editorial content from Twist was gone as well. The market is constantly changing. Sweater looks good! I confess I once owned a kit for a tumbling blocks pillow, which I finally gave away. It was free for subscribing to Rowan a zillion years ago. I should add intarsia to my list of things I need to re-try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. re TC i agree, sad they those 10 years are gone

      Delete
  6. Anonymous6:38 PM

    Baby sweater looks lovely!
    Enjoy the Easter weekend
    Lisa RR in Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:44 PM

    https://web.archive.org/web/20111118015042/https://www.twistcollective.com/collection/index.php/component/content/article/35-features/1040-the-ten-knitters-you-meet-in-hell

    It's available in the Wayback Machine. Took me a bit to figure out how to work it.

    Loving the baby sweater too! :-)
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! I tried the Wayback Machine but could not find it.

      Delete