Sunday, April 07, 2019


It has been a day of unsurpassed idleness, but I have at least bound off the back of the baby sweater, after some nifty short-rowing, and retrieved the stitches for the front. All is well.

Jenny, the point of my using the Millarochy colours as a “repeating group of 15” in the Dathan hap – a most useful phrase – was just that that seemed the best way of not-quite-ensuring that I wouldn’t run out of any of them. And I didn’t, even with those tremendously long rows at the end. The yardage is generous.

Tom contributes a not uninteresting post to the KD blog today, but this ostentatious refusal to give us the slightest hint about Kate’s condition -- on his part, and that of the staff member who’s learning to knit -- is becoming rather irritating.

Non-knit

Mary Lou, I am quite seriously worried about your remark that you found “A Gentleman in Moscow” here on this blog. You don’t actually say that – you say “thanks to…” I’ve looked it up. It was clearly last year’s sensation – there is even a book about it, for use with one’s book group. But I have no memory of ever having heard of it, let alone read it. I am sparing in my acquaintance with books-set-in-foreign-countries so I think I would remember. (I don’t count the US or India as foreign, and I’ll go anywhere with John LeCarre.) Please reassure me if you can.

Meanwhile I have added it to my list. It does sound good. I like Julian Barnes – Kirsten, should I add “The Only Story” to that list?

“Daniel Deronda” has picked up a bit, although it’s still awfully wordy. At the moment, it looks like turning into a proto-Zionist tract which is certainly an unexpected development.

8 comments:

  1. I'm sure your shawl will prove useful - and a talking point - on your trip to Shetland.

    I rather take the avoidance of all mention of KD's illness to be an indication of its seriousness. We have no inkling of its nature, but only a projected timescale for, hopefully, recovery. As has been said before, it's a private matter for Kate and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness, Jean, sorry to worry you. It was in several comments, not you directly. Sarah? Chloe? You haven’t read a long book and completely forgotten it! Glad to hear the sweater is progressing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:50 AM

    Well, Jean, I really loved the different ways you tackled the stripe sequence in each "group of fifteen" and I thought it was a great example of how the concept of this shawl was supposed to start us thinking about colour as well as setting us free (if only within certain parameters).
    JennyS

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am enjoying the 'The Only Story' now that I have got into it; I was slow to get started but I am finding endless ideas to put into my commonplace book for future thinking about. I'll have to pause and speed-read Ephesians for the church book club meeting tonight; not sure that the two books will sit sweetly beside eachother!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:38 AM

    No it wasn't me. I only recently heard of it myself on some television show or other. My book reading lately has been rather mild. With all the upheaval in the world lately I am looking for peaceful and serene. Jean, Google didn't work for me yesterday. I was attempting to say for someone who feels weak as you do, you have quite a full plate! Cruise, advanced Italian, big knitting projects, pesto making, etc. chloe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:44 AM

    Sorry, Mary Lou. Upon reading my comment, I realize I should have added bucolic and removed. I live in a big city and seem to be attracted lately to small towns! Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:43 PM

    Your shawl is just lovely and the color arrangement so attractive. thanks for sharing. Chloe seems spot on. For a lady fearful of having less energy, your dance card is rambunctiously filled and enjoyed:) I'm hoping KD's silence is self nurturing and strengthening. God bless her heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. =Tamar3:36 PM

    "A Gentleman in Moscow" was recommended in the comments here by Sarah, supported by KirstenM, on
    Saturday, February 16, 2019.
    I used Google, which will search a blog, comments and all, if you put:
    site:[blogaddress] [search words]

    ReplyDelete