Monday, April 29, 2019


Compared to recent excitement – nothing.

Here’s Thomas’ scarf, so far:



You will see that I have allowed myself one extra column, beyond the central one, in the knitting of the Cup. That’s because I thought it would look better that way, and because, although we didn’t win, we left them chastened.

The question is, how badly is the Calcutta Cup bit going to bulge out, once the cables start pulling in? Time will tell. It’s more or less all right so far. I’m afraid I don’t entirely understand Gaughan’s “Stocking Stitch Equivalent” (SSE) scale, but however it works, cables are going to be narrower than st st.

Reading & Life

“North and South” is an excellent idea. It has been a very long time since I read (and enjoyed) it, and I’m pretty sure I’ve only read it once. I spent some time today with my new thriller, which is good enough to keep me reading, at least. Then I must certainly finish “No Name”. If I can finish “Daniel Deronda”, I can finish anything.

Archie and I planted some nicely chitted potatoes in a bag. There are two more bags to do, but it’s a rather tedious task, and not entirely straightforward;  just as well, therefore, to break it up.

4 comments:

  1. Jean, I think When it's done and you block it, it will hopefully solve that problem. Linnie, Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The soil is still too cold to plant the potatoes. Last year at this time they’d been in for a few weeks. I think it will block out just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:13 PM

    Agree with the others--scarf is looking lovely!
    Blocking does do wonders, as you know.
    Happy stitching!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our potatoes are already showing and in need of earthing up.
    I love the subtle symbolism of having more than half the cup in your possession!

    ReplyDelete