Wednesday, April 24, 2019


The weather is deteriorating, as forecast. I've ordered some strawberry plants for my strawberry pot -- they are said to have pretty little double red flowers, as well as strawberries, The nursery says they're on the way. I'll have to plant them myself -- not a good idea to keep them until Archie reappears next week,

I’ve been having a great time with Gaughan’s Pattern 100. Goodness, she’s clever. It’s called “Distant Share Lattice” which doesn’t tell us much. It turns out that the rows without cables, the ones in which you knit-the-knits and purl-the-purls, are very easy. At first I thought I might have to write out the row in explicit knits and purls. Then I grasped that the rhythm is always 2-2-2-1. As it might be, k2 p2 k2 k1, with the other side in reverse.

Sort of like doing the rumba.

I’ve finished the swatch. I’ll photograph it the next time we get some strong sunlight. It doesn’t show up tremendously well, which I think may be a plus.

I’ve also charted “2019” and a half-Calcutta Cup. The only remaining problem is, how wide to make the scarf. I think my swatch looks a bit narrow. Adding one more repeat, 14 stitches, produces a number of stitches which fits the chart perfectly. But is the scarf now too wide? It would be perfectly possible to knit the narrower version with the Cup and the date above and below each other, instead of side by side.

I’ll let that one rest overnight.

The yarn is called  “Croft”. I bought it from Jamieson & Smith at the EYF, but the label doesn't suggest that it's exclusive to them. It's Shetland Island wool, spun in Yorkshire. It’s lovely. What will happen to that and thousands of other business arrangements when Ms Sturgeon gets her way on independence, and we have another border to worry about?

Reading

I’m moving forward in Wilkie Collins’ “No Name” and continuing to enjoy it.

5 comments:

  1. Don't know the dimensions of your scarf but I have made a scarf that I found to be too narrow but never one that turned out to be too wide. I generally aim for 8 or 9 inches and the too-narrow one was a bit less than six. Does the recipient have current scarves? Perhaps he would be willing to measure one he likes.
    I envy you being able to just chart out a picture and a date with the snap of your fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think wider is better, they do narrow with tugging on and wrapping. I purchased some of that Croft to play with, but it as yet unwound.

    ReplyDelete
  3. =Tamar4:30 AM

    Most of my scarves are five inches wide, but they are knit in the round, so the actual width if they had been knitted flat would have been ten inches. I like to be able to tuck them inside my jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m a bit confused about your scarf dilemma. I first thought that you could just add stitches on either side of the pattern in the background color. Then I thought that you needed to keep the pattern going to the edge. Are you knitting a tube or flat back and forth? So much to consider....

    ReplyDelete
  5. My 2 cents is that a wider scarf is much cozier than a narrow scarf.

    ReplyDelete