Friday, April 26, 2019


Tired, tired.

Nothing much has happened today, except that I had a heart scan. “Nothing to worry about, in there,” he said, but by the time I had got there, and got back, and disarranged my simple meals, and…. I was prostrate. No Italian homework tonight, and I think I already know how to say “I’m sorry, I haven’t done my homework.” Maybe I’ll get up at 6 tomorrow. The Skype lesson is at 8.

EYF

When I heard the news, I rushed off to Ravelry and started a new thread and said what I said here yesterday. But I must have said it wrong, for a moderator has come down on me hard, on the assumption that I don’t know how much work Jo and Mica have put into it.

I’ve never been to an event so well-organised. That obviously isn’t easy. I am sorry to have implied otherwise.

However, my point here is that the EYF is a brilliant success, not only in the world of knitting but also in Edinburgh and beyond that, in Scottish tourism (although I suspect they don’t appreciate it). And I would like to see it put on a firm footing. Every-other-year would be fine. But not-next-year-because-we’re-exhausted, although absolutely understandable, is not fine. I feel there must be some way forward involving, perhaps,  more staff and a more formal structure.

(My thread in the Ravelry EYF group is called “EYF 2020” if you want to go look, There’s not much there.)

Otherwise, not much knitting. I have been worrying about the shape of my scarf. I started with k2, p2 rib, and obviously it will expand a bit as I move into the ss rows with the “2019” and the half-Calcutta Cup. Gaughan has a most ingenious “SSE” measure with each of her patterns, meaning “stocking stitch equivalent”. I am sure that if I were a designer, it would be invaluable, but as it is, I don’t quite grasp the mathematics.

But I find myself uncharacteristically relaxed. If the current attempt bulges in and out in an unseemly way, it will just have to be reclassified as Swatch No. Two.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:19 PM

    How very ungracious those mods/organizers(?) were about your post! They sound like the sorts of people who complain about how nobody will ever help them and then we peole volunteer to help, say, with a gigantic sigh, "Oh, no, I'll manage SOMEHOW." Or maybe they just weren't making enough money, and didn't want to admit it.

    Anyhow, sorry both that you won't get to go next year, and that they were so rude to you. I imagine, though, that you will find other ways to acquire yarn and knowledge.

    Beverly in NJ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear! This is just one more example of the misunderstandings that arise in communicating in social media. Your post was clear and to the point but was taken to be uninformed and critical. I was surprised by how personal the moderator felt prepared to be even so. The event itself seems to have reached international proportions, so it is not surprising that it overwhelms two people. It always amazes me that the popularity of such events - Yarndale, Woolfest - does not increase the supply, because they all seem to be vastly over-subscribed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am surprised at the rude response. The good news, TWO more spears of asparagus!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:58 AM

    I think it's generational. Chloe

    ReplyDelete