Friday, April 19, 2019


The weather has suddenly turned wonderful, just in time for the Easter weekend. La Primavera, quando Flora da fiori adorna il mondo.

Laura – in her comment, Wednesday -- has found an archive containing Franklin’s “Ten Knitters”. That was clever of her, and a most useful resource. It’s still every bit as good as it used to be.

I did re-knit the lace edging in jumper-weight – at least, I am well along with doing so. I like it much better this way. The needles I have been using, for both attempts, are making rather heavy weather of k2tog. I might have a look at Sharon Miller’s Etsy page to see what she sells for lace knitting.

One of the big surprises in the history of my discovery of knitting, was Sharon’s remark, in the magisterial “Heirloom Knitting”, that directional decreases don't matter in garter stitch. Or was it, in lace knitting generally? That ought to mean that I could be using ssk all along, and it might be easier. I’ll try.

Reading

I’m not much enjoying “Cousin Henry” because none of the characters are very nice, not even the heroine who is sought in marriage by a young clergyman. At least it’s not very long.

I’m not sure, now that we get down to the knitty gritty, that I haven’t read “The Moonstone” after all. As bedtime reading. We kept a list (with a few gaps) of our bedtime books, extending over many decades. I might have a look. The order is completely haphazard. There seems to be plenty more Collins for me to read anyway, although there’s probably a good reason why the famous two are famous.

(In many ways, our most successful bedtime book of all time was “Ulysses”. I was very dubious when my husband proposed it. But it turns out that it’s absolutely meant to be read out loud.)

I think I’ve done enough Italian homework, for once, that I can allow myself an early night.

5 comments:

  1. The weather is wonderful here, as well. I will have to experiment with the decreases in garter, you have me intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the baby sweater! Well done!

    When I read the title Moonstone, I immediately thought Penelope Lively. But no, her book is Moon Tiger. Quite a good one if you like Ms. Lively (which I do).

    ReplyDelete
  3. the weather is not lovely here in the Northeast US. rain started Friday night and is to last thru sunday afternoon... but it brought cool temps again as friday was in low 70s a bit too soon for that here!

    can you post the link to the TC archives?

    ReplyDelete
  4. nevermind i found it. i have saved it as a pdf and making it shareable.

    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sig-SZTti_1LoRTmegMeGBNw7Q0ElMfb

    ReplyDelete
  5. GrannyPurple7:06 PM

    You are so right about Ulysses. One of the Dublin theatre groups did a live reading of it on Bloom's Day that was broadcast on CBC years ago--nearly 24 hours as I recall. It was great fun dropping in and out of the day, though I think if it happened, I'd just make sure to have lots of knitting on hand and turn off the phone...

    ReplyDelete