Friday, April 05, 2019


The hap is finished, but for tomorrow’s blocking speriamo. The evening was drawing in, so I put it round my shoulders for the end of Pointless and the beginning of the news. It’s nice and cosy. Those extra increases at the end of the wingspan pay off: the ends tuck neatly under one’s elbows.

I’m very pleased with it. I see myself wearing it on next year’s cruise – but that’s a long time to wait. Maybe I’ll wear it to Shetland next month.

Then I went back to the baby sweater, and soon dropped a stitch. There’s a knitting skill I have never mastered, and probably never will: recovering a dropped stitch in garter stitch. I’ve got one of those two-headed crochet hooks somewhere, but I never fared any better with that. The result today will pass the galloping horse test, but only just.

Non-knit

Janet, Geoff Hamilton’s “Ornamental Kitchen Garden” became a book after it was a television series. Amazon offers it very cheaply. Maybe I’ll tell them to send a copy to James. Some commenters complain about the lack of colour pictures, but the majority are very enthusiastic.

Not much else today – and this evening must be devoted, as many a Friday before it, to my Italian homework. Every time I resolve to get down to it early in the week, and every time…

4 comments:

  1. I must be mixed up, you are going to Shetland soon, and on the cruise next year? Whatever, you have a lovely hap to wear. Picking up stitches in garter is irritating. I sometimes flip from side to side so I am always pick up a knit stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:24 AM

    I finished my Dathan Hap yesterday also, but as I started well before you, Jean, I am impressed by your speed. I'll be wearing mine on Loch Linnhe this coming May (unless the weather is extraordinarily hot). I think of it as a "Scottish Hug" as it is so warm and comforting and has all the colours of the highlands and coast.
    JennyS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous5:00 PM

      The "Scottish Hug", what a cheerful image.
      -- Gretchen (aka stashdragon)

      Delete
  3. Anonymous12:03 PM

    I remember reading somewhere that you are supposed to go according to the 'smiles' and 'frowns' but I don't remember exactly how and if it would even help. Someone must be getting it right. There are enough perfect garter stitch projects in knitting books. In the meantime let those galloping horses fly. Chloe

    ReplyDelete