Friday, March 15, 2024

A bit better, today. The weather is a bit brighter. I got some knitting done — one more round will finish off the Calcutta Cup. I mean to do that this evening. The final Six Nations matches are tomorrow. Ireland v. Scotland is fairly late in the afternoon and we are very likely to lose. If you don’t hear from me, that’s why.

   David is coming from Thessaloniki tomorrow. He and Helen will stop here on their way to Strathardle.  I will re-emphasise the importance of a picture of our Wellingtonia.  

   Thank you for your food comment, Lisa. I found smoked tofu with celery boring. Not enough chilli sauce? No peanuts? Should I have fried the Tofu? I will press on — the next recipe is Tofu Bamboo with Spring Onion Flavoured Oil, and for that I have to wait until some tofu bamboo and Sichuanese pickled chilli is delivered from London.

   AA Gill, of whom I was a great fan, said once that if you want to be a good cook, the trick is not to cook ten things, but to cook one thing ten times (and get it right). Perhaps when I get to a recipe that nearly pleases, I’ll pause and try it that way. My mother (who loved them) was violently allergic to nuts. I’ve never had such a reaction, but I don’t much like them and tend to avoid.

356    Wordle:  Mysteriously, Thomas says he scored four today — but Wordle says he failed, and set his  356 day streak back to 0. Maybe you’re not allowed more than a year? 

   I, too, scored four, as did Rachel, Theo and Roger. Mark scored three, and the husband-and-wife team of Alexander and Ketki were the stars with two each (but different grids). 


 



 


4 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:34 PM

    Oh well at least you tried celery and smoked tofu. I like the firmness and extra flavour of smoked tofu. I do stir-fry it at times.
    I need to locate my copy of this cookbook, and read up on tofu bamboo. Perhaps I’ve eaten it but didn’t know the name.
    Have a good weekend!
    Lisa R-R, Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  2. =Tamar12:16 AM

    If you don't like them, don't eat them. Not liking something can be a hint of a mild sensitivity. The world is full of foods to try.
    The weather tried to sprinkle here but it was mainly just gray with a light misting at times. The daffodils are holding up. I don't know what kind they are, but they have a dark orange center that looks slightly ruffly. The centers are becoming more visible as the yellow petals lean farther outward with age. Almost warm enough to do without a jacket, but cool to chilly at night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:59 PM

    The Guardian has an article about the redwoods thriving in the UK. So interesting! Lisa R-R
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/mar/16/hidden-giants-how-the-uks-500000-redwoods-put-california-in-the-shade

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Lou9:56 PM

    It;s funny how some things I like raw, but not cooked. I think cream of celery soup ruined me for anything but raw celery, unless it is small amounts in a mirepoix. My husband just covered up the daffodils. Not blooming yet, but supposed to dip in the 20's over the next few days. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete