Friday, March 22, 2024

 A spring day. Wind and rain, sunshine and showers. What am I going to do about Easter?

   Knitting moved forward. I am now worrying away about yarn. I’m knitting with Brooklyn Tweed’s Tones (I think) with two skeins of the lighter, toning colour meant to be used for the waist and the substantial collar. Then I didn’t use it for the waist entirely, because we won the Calcutta Cup so I stuck with the main colour and knit the Cup in the contrast.

   Now I’ve turned the knitting and am knitting the hem in the contrast. But I’m worrying about whether there’s going to be enough for that collar. I could switch back to the main colour once I’ve done a bit more wrong-side hem. I am more confident that I’ve got plenty of that.

   (This is Brooklyn Tweed’s Spalding pattern.)

   Nobody came to see us today. Helen is away teaching mosaic-making at a grand country-house venue down souff. 

   I am reading an interesting book about WWII propaganda and a propagandist I had never heard of called Sefton Delmer. They’re reading it aloud on the radio in the middle of the night. He was so convincing that Roosevelt’s people heard it and reported to the White House in 1940 or ‘41 that Germany was about to rise against Hitler so there was no point in the US joining the war.

   Churchill sent the Queen’s brother, Somebody Bowes-Lyon, to the White House to talk to Roosevelt alone and in confidence, to explain.

   Wordle: Four was the majority score today, including mine. Theo, Thomas and Mark scored three — all credit to them. All the rest of us had four.

3 comments:

  1. This all sounds very promising - especially the news about the wheelchair.
    But what dreadful news about the Princess of Wales! Having to deal with that in the full glare of publicity and media speculation must be very wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:07 AM

    Agreed. Kate has probably taught all of us what grace under pressure really means. I think she is extraordinary. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:21 PM

    What is the name of the book you are reading. It sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete