Wednesday, March 06, 2024

 

Grey, chilly. I got a bit of knitting done, and continue to be satisfied that I’ve got the Calcutta Cup the right way around. Another day’s work should make it certain, if I can ever persuade myself to do another day’s work. 

Thanks for interesting remarks about. wellingtonias. I assume they’re called that here in honour of the greatest 19th century Englishman. I was particularly interested in your news, Mary Lou, that they won’t “do” where you are. Strathardle is pretty cold, but the show garden attached to a big house further up the glen (=colder) has a successful one. So does the Edinburgh Botanic Gardens. Ours has only been in a year, and is very happy, I think. I’ll get Helen to take a picture the next time she is there.

   You suggest an interesting addition to my food list of yesterday, Tamar: namely rhubarb. I love it. How did I ever taste it? We never had it at home, nor at Oberlin, and I sailed off to Glasgow assuming it was a rare and expensive growth like artichokes. (It grows almost like a weed.) 

   I don’t eat it nowadays because I try to avoid sugar. And for 2024 I fear I have already missed its best moment — the forced rhubarb of Jan and Feb. It will be available here in some form all year round, always pretty cheap. I was interested in your remark that it is not always available in US supermarkets.

  Wordle: The British contingent was evenly split between threes and fours — I was a three. In DC, Theo was another four, and his father Roger flattened us all with a two. 

3 comments:

  1. =Tamar7:50 PM

    It seems to be a northern thing here. We had rhubarb in the garden when I was growing up in New Hampshire. It overwintered with no trouble and produced mightily and for a long time with no care at all. I would just go out and pick a stalk, avoiding the leaf and root of course. One day I went out and didn't want to go back in for a cup of sugar to dip it in, so I taught myself to like it raw and unsweetened - not a common thing, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:13 PM

    Tamar, how brave to eat raw rhubarb with no sugar! Very tart!
    I love a good rhubarb pie, and have made the pie with rhubarb and strawberries and a meringue top. My dad used to simmer the cut up stalks in sugar water for a nice addition to breakfast. Good memories.
    Rhubarb will be available in our farmer's market soon.
    Sarah in Manhattan

    Sarah in Manhattan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen7:08 AM

    Yorkshire forced rhubarb is in Manchester supermarkets now.

    ReplyDelete