Sunday, April 03, 2022

 

Dull, chill. I didn’t walk – not because of the weather but because of an attack of weakness. I got up in the night to pee – it happens often – and found myself too weak to proceed. I got back to bed, slept on without disaster, and have been recovering gradually all day. Had I not had enough supper last night, relying on my delicious tuna lunch with Archie? I shall eat conscientiously this evening.

 

No knitting to speak of today – that’s always a bad symptom.

 

Janet, comment yesterday, I had your experience once with a shawl. In my earlier shawl-knitting days, I always started with the edging, then joined it into a circle and knit inwards. I was terribly, terribly careful with the join but once I failed. I took the scissors to the corner – with successful results.


Helen(anon) Your comment about my scam yesterday has just turned up. Your excellent system wouldn't have helped me. It wasn't an automated call. It was "BT" phoning about my internet. I would have picked up. I had one of those banking ones a couple of years ago, where they try to persuade you to move your money to a "safe" account. I nearly fell for that one. Again, it was real people talking to me. That's what's so upsetting. Like finding rats in the larder.

 

Wordle

 

All five of us, aged from nearly 18 to nearly 89, took five goes to get Wordle this morning. Friend-Mark thinks our collective score has never been so bad. Queer Joe, who sometimes posts his results to Facebook, got it in three. I stuck to my new resolution of entering only words which fit all the data. I was tempted by a Jean-word for line four, and if I had used it, it would have made the solution easier. But no quicker.

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:38 PM

    I loved your limerick the other day and as it seems to have inspired something, I hope you like the following:

    Jean, the intrepid knitter,
    Was designing a sweater to fit her,
    "I'll use colours," she said,
    "With a nice cheerful red,
    And tell all about it on Twitter."

    Helen (anon)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father was nearly scammed out of several thousand pounds, luckily the bank stopped the transfer. However convincing they sound (these were horrifyingly so) they can only get your money if they manage to persuade you to transfer it. This one was in the nature of threats 'either you give us £5000 or we'll take the lot'. Beasts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. =Tamar12:38 PM

    I suppose the best thing to do when they sound so convincing is to carefully write down what they say to do, DON'T DO IT, and hang up. AND WAIT in case they are doing the "delayed disconnect" thing where if you pick up too soon, it reconnects to them.
    Then contact your bank by their normal method, and investigate. I have only once had a real 'important' phone call from a bank.

    Also, tell your doctor about those bouts of weakness. You should be able to go through the night without being too weak to get up. (And eat dinner.)

    ReplyDelete