Tuesday, December 13, 2022

 Bitter, bitter cold. And it’s interesting that the US seems to be having cold from coast to coast. Usually it’s one or the other, you or us. 

The hospital appt went well. A pleasant and confidence-inspiring orthopaedic surgeon answered most of our questions before we got to them. I’ve got osteo NECROSIS. How’s that for splendid? No particular reason. Nothing to be done except surgery, and the NHS can’t undertake that for another year. I’m just as glad. If he had said Jan or Feb I would probably have withdrawn on the spot. As I probably will when my name finally comes up. I’ve been sitting here reading the book he gave us called “Patient Guide for Hips” and I don’t think I’m up to a replacement operation. But maybe in a year’s time I’ll be in more pain and ready to face the knife.

Going private is a possibility. But do I want to spend all that money which could more usefully be devoted to cat food? And all that the book says about the surgery would still be true.

Helen wanted to blame it all on cider-drinking but Mr Macpherson (for such was his name) didn’t take up that idea with much enthusiasm. 

So now I can look forward to Part Two of HarrynMeghan with undiminished pleasure. 

Not much knitting. Tomorrow I must get down to business.

Wordle: We’re all  much on a level today, although it seemed to me a difficult word. Three for me, Thomas, Ketki, and Theo. Four for Mark, Alexander, Roger and Big Rachel. Little Rachel took six. There’s also a grid posted to our Signal group, showing three but not matching anyone else’s grid and not identified by initials as we usually are. 



8 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:18 PM

    Congratulations on a 3 for Wordle today. It took me 6; too many choices in the end.

    At least you have a diagnosis for the hip. It sounds pretty sinister said that way. Almost everyone we know have gone through the replacement process with great success, except my poor husband who had a bad result. That should not deter you but it does happen.
    And we have below freezing temperatures in New York City. My sister in San Francisco is facing 37 degrees and it is rarely that cold in the Bay Area.
    Sarah in Manhattan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So reassuring to get a consultant who can make you feel better, even when sharing something which sounds serious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca in Minnesota10:59 PM

    My dear husband hasn't had any kind of alcohol for years, and it didn't save him from two hip replacements. So I hope you will continue to enjoy your cider without guilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca in Minnesota11:02 PM

    I should add that, in his early 80s, he found the surgery to be a Very Good Thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Lou1:17 AM

    Well the Mayo Clinic says osteonecrosis is most common between the ages of 30-50, so who knows? And hip replacement for those of my friends who have had it has been a real gift, even when there were complications. If you can keep walking, it seems like the cats can eat the cheap stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:43 AM

    Walking is essential for overall good health as well as for all your joints. Did he suggest any other treatments, if in the interim, the pain/discomfort gets much worse? There are non-surgical treatments that might help you get through the year. In America your sister could see what is covered by Medicare to guard against what might be quackery solutions. A friend recently had non open-surgery (can’t think of the term) on both hips and swears by it. Not advised for everybody and still requires post-op physical therapy but something to consider. Hip surgery is one of the easier to recover from. Ankle surgery can require six weeks of forced inactivity and knee surgery is as we all know much more complicated. Your body picked one of the easiest options. Your doctor sounds like a gem. Too bad there is such a long waitlist. Chloe


    ReplyDelete
  7. =Tamar10:58 AM

    Chloe, did you mean laparoscopy? That is usually much easier to recover from. I didn't know it was used for hip work. If there will be another discussion with the doctor soon, ask about that . I don't understand how they would put the new joint in that way, but I suppose they have a way.
    In the meantime, wrap up, rest, and relax.
    It is cold tonight but not unseasonably so here in MD. We've been spoiled by warm winters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Weavinfool4:32 PM

    How much alcohol do you drink? Mayo clinic says it can be a major cause. I think it refers to alcoholics. Is the doctor just flogging you off because of age?

    ReplyDelete