Saturday, December 10, 2022

 I’m huddling again. Whatever happened to Global Warming?

Thank you for your help with INVER yesterday. The answer makes sense, although it doesn’t entirely explain why Wordle accepted it. I’ve never heard it by itself in speech, although it’s familiar enough as a prefix.  I scored an unimpressive five today — see below.

And, oh, Tamar, yes, that low winter sun. (Even lower, here) I think the winter when my husband’s dear sister was dying was the last time we had a hard winter. Her house — she was at home until the last fortnight — was due south of Drummond Place, along long, straight roads. The sun straight in one’s eyes and also bouncing back off the banked snow. 

She lived to see the beginning of spring.

The cable panels for Fergus’ sweater have a 16-row repeat of which the centrepiece is a massive six-over-six cable. Well, I’ve done the last one of those for the back. I’ve also finished another ball of yarn — I hope at least I’ll get the winding of the next one done this evening. So progress is being made, by however slow increments.

I’ve read all there is to read about H&M in the Saturday papers and am beginning to fear that there is nothing else there and that I will regret buying his book. Somewhere on our shelves we have a copy of  “The Little Princesses”, sensational in its day, when the Royal Nanny betrayed her employers and Told All. I’ll shelve “Spare” next

 to it, if I can find it.

Wordle: Everybody got four today except me and (remarkably) Theo. He usually leads the pack, but today joined me in scoring five. There’s still time to hear from his father Roger, and from Little Rachel.

Post scriptum: Roger has just clocked in with a three. Poof. 

And now Little Rachel, with a five, like me and Theo. 

 






9 comments:

  1. Mary Lou6:06 PM

    I have been unable to post comments for a few days, let's see if this works. I got Wordle in three this morning. I'm working on some socks for gifts, and managed to make the heel on the second one too short,so had to rip back. Still not enough to convince me to work two at a time on one long circular, however!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knit most of the pair one inside the other on two short circulars. I never could master knitting them side by side -- I'd get confused and turn the knitting at the wrong time. If you purl the outside sock and knit the inside sock, there is much less chance of knitting them together, which was a real issue before I figured this out. I use Portuguese knitting for the outside sock (easier to purl) and Norwegian for the inside (keeps the two balls of yarn nicely separate), which my sister named the Portuwegian sock method.

      Delete
    2. Mary Lou3:39 AM

      I work two-at-a-time on DPN - 2 sets, then I work a cuff and a cuff, and a leg and a leg. But dark yarn and late nights can cause a few hiccups!

      Delete
    3. I am in awe of both of you. I am still on my first real pair of socks. I am knitting sock no 2 for the second time having discovered a mistake, and now know how I should have knitted sock no 1 so will frog and redo . Patience, patience, patience....

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. =Tamar9:55 PM

    Six-over-six! wow. And another ball of yarn done! Pleasant weather today here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:46 AM

    I would love to see the Portuwegian sock method on You Tube. Congratulations on six over six. I would be holding my breath until two rows after to see if it all came out all right. “She lived to see the beginning of spring…” A poignant phrase if ever there was one. For some reason it has me close to tears. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On YouTube, look for Andrea Wong Knits -- she's the original and the best! If that fails, look for VeryPink Knits, she does very good (and slow) tutorials. Have fun!

      Delete
  4. I haven't thought of The Little Princesses in years. I read the book when I was a child; it was my mom's hardbound copy she must have bought or been given when she was a teenager. While the stories told in the book have disappeared from my memory, the name "Crawfie" stays with me. I have no desire to read Spare; I will wait to hear what others say about it.

    ReplyDelete