Monday, December 05, 2022

 It’s now cold as well as dark. I am going to huddle in here in the kitchen and peck this out on the iPad.

I still haven’t been out, but today wasn’t a day to encourage such an effort. Alexander and Ketki came to see me. They seem well. I gave them their Christmas present. I’ve knit a bit. Kate Davies has released the new Allover pattern — a FairIsle jumper along pretty traditional lines. Very nice, too. 

“Knitting” magazine here today, as it faithfully is every month, I am taken with Manos del Uruguay Silk Blend yarn — semi-solid. Perhaps if I could get the present effort off the needles, I could use it for the baby shawl due in April. 30% silk, 70% merino. Yum. But perhaps not very practical. And the recent gap in industrious knitting has of course postponed the finishing of Fergus’ sweater.I had hoped for Christmas. I won’t come near.

Wordle: today every single one of us had a penultimate line which went gr, gr, *, gr, gr. But we got there at different speeds. Ketki and I and Big Rachel  scored four, Little Rachel and Mark five, Alexander and Thomas six, and poor Theo failed. No news from my brother-in-law Roger yet, but he often turns up late. 

The trouble is we’re all huddling in here. I’m not sure I’m going to be able to knit under so much feline supervision. 













2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:03 PM

    Jean, I, too, had that pattern in Wordle this morning. So frustrating; I ended up with six.

    I love the new Allover Jumper, too, in the Kate color way. I am sorely tempted to order the kit, but I did just review my list of projects and desired projects, and it is awfully long. I think I’d better save my pennies for now. Looks like it would be a wonderfully entertaining project. (The Other Kristen, in New York State)

    ReplyDelete
  2. =Tamar5:53 AM

    70% Merino is usually washable; at least it is when the rest is acrylic. Silk is also washable; the issue with silk is that it yellows with heat much above blood temperature - but if it's yellow already, so what? And silk is strong. Then if the baby item is intended to be a bright cheerful yellow, the blend could be good. Does that make sense?
    Huddling next to the Aga sounds nice enough - tea is ready to hand, right? I'm assuming the rest of the place is some reasonable amount above freezing.

    I have an old Samsung tablet which keeps changing perfectly real words to what it thinks I should write, and I have to change them back. Does the iPad do that?

    ReplyDelete