Tuesday, December 20, 2022

 I am sorry to have left you in the lurch yesterday. All is well here. The weather has broken, as promised. I haven’t been out yet, but I had my bath today and C. is coming tomorrow, so maybe…

Today an old friend from Birmingham rang up. His family summary-of-the-year is normally one of the pleasures of this dismal season. It hasn’t arrived this year (nothing else has either) so it was a particular pleasure to hear from him. I have been writing greeting-type emails to old friends and as-of-now three have had no response which leaves me, of course, gloomier than ever.

I ordered that hat kit from Kate Davies, and heard today that it has been dispatched. So now it is up to the Post Office. Ha. I probably have enough Schiehallion left-overs to do it, but you may remember that Helen put her ????? striped sweater in the washing machine, and I was able to knit it again for her from my Schiehallion leftovers,  but that the new one was a bit narrow and when once blocked to fit, it’s a bit short. So that’s on my to-do list for when Fergus’ Calcutta Cup sweater is finished, and after that something for the new great-grandchild due in April. Sinks down in despair.

But that’s why I don’t want to diminish my supply of Schiehallion leftovers.

Wordle: how exciting, Mary Lou! Was that yesterday, no. 548, SLATE?  My brother-in-law in DC also had a hole-in-one. Obviously so, if we’re talking about the same day. I did it once, with TRAIN, and found it rather boring.

We all found it on the easy side today. Two for Little Rachel, four for Theo and Ketki. All the rest of us (including me) got it in three. Alexander says there needs to be a word in English to express the fleeting sense of smugness when you score three, before you realise that everybody else has done that well or better.


 















5 comments:

  1. I use two starter words for wordle, and was delighted to get it with my second word. No skill there, just luck. But today; grr! There were at least 4 possible solutions to the green letters I had in row 2. How do I know????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Lou10:32 PM

    Yes, it was slate. And getting a hole-in-one takes some of the fun out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. =Tamar12:02 AM

    What fun, with all that bright color knitting to look forward to. You are ahead of the game already, having ordered the hat kit.

    I think the fleeting sense of smugness is called "justifiable pride in a minor achievement, followed by a reality check and equally minor humility." But it's still perfectly good justifiable pride.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:48 AM

    How exciting,Jean,to work with all those
    colors which change so quickly. And being a hat, satisfaction arrives quickly also! Although I hate it when I have to stop knitting with a yarn that is a joy to knit. I can kind of see why it would take some if the fun out of it, Mary Lou, since the challenge/goal has now already been met. And I wonder how other hole-in-oners cope with this feeling. I know in golf, they keep on playing. Would it be the same with Wordle?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:50 AM

    Sorry. Chloe

    ReplyDelete