Friday, December 09, 2022

 Cold, cold.

And little else to report. I have done some knitting, but not enough. But you’re right (as always) Tamar — comment, Pearl Harbor day — it won’t knit itself. 

We had another interesting essay about colour today in the Allover club, from Kate herself. About the man who discovered that people work more happily and efficiently in pleasantly-coloured surroundings. I have certainly learned, these last few years, to knit bright colours, especially red, during these most desolate weeks of the year. I will be glad to have these essays in the eventual book.

I am huddled in the kitchen again. Perdita is here, ostensibly sound asleep, on the shelf next to the Aga. I told her just now what a super cat she is. Most of the cat remained deep in sleep, but the right hind rear paw, which hangs over the edge of the shelf, flexed in acknowledgment.

The papers I read are full of HarrynMeghan today, and the consensus is in favour of yesterday’s judgement, that Netflix’ first instalment yesterday was more than a bit boring. Could they (I find myself wondering, however) bring the monarchy down, after a thousand years? If it could survive (as it triumphantly did) the Abdication…But things were different then. 

I have ordered “Spare”, on paper as opposed to Kindle. C. wants to read it. Helen was here this morning, she thinks she can give it a miss. Maybe the whole thing will be as boring as yesterday’s non-event and we can get on with the new reign.

Wordle: I got four today, the majority score. Ketki and Theo led the pack with three. Both Rachels needed five. I like getting four, best of all. My fours now lead my fives 93-86 but I am never sorry to improve the margin. Threes lag behind at 59 and I am sure they will never catch up. 

Yesterday’s word was INFER. I got it in six. On the way there I tried INVER (after failing with INNER) and Wordle accepted it.I have done a mild bit of research and can only find a well-regarded restaurant in Strachur, near Alexander and Ketki. I’ve been there with them a couple of times. Very nice. It’s now changed hands and gone all posh — I’m not sure it doesn’t have a Michelin star — and is altogether out of our league. But what was Wordle thinking of? Surely not a restaurant on the shores of Loch Fyne?







8 comments:

  1. Today the NY Times workers are striking and have asked us in solidarity to forego Wordle. I have to say, I have not decided what to do. Apparently it is true that salaries at the company have not kept pace with inflation (which is true of almost everyone during our current not-quite-recession) and that employees are being requested to return to the office despite being perfectly able to work from home. However, I'm not sure how it would help their cause for us to refuse to do business with the Times today. What do you all think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm abstaining. I'm more in favor of the power of the public to influence corporations than I am attached to my Wordle streak. One day won't kill me!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous2:24 AM

      I, too, abstained from all NYT sites for the day, but my husband did not. He may be clinically addicted to Spelling Bee. (The Other Kristen, in NY State)

      Delete
  2. Anonymous5:28 PM

    Inver is the mouth of a river. I think it’s a Scottish word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:02 PM

    Inver means mouth of a river in Scots eg Inverclyde. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  4. =Tamar2:35 AM

    My success of the day was to acquire a calendar for next year. Today being Friday, traffic was heavy. I expect it will be heavy until after Christmas. It is seasonably cold but not bitterly so. The hard part is driving when the sun is so low in the sky. It just seems wrong to need sunglasses in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish freecell would restrict us to one game per day as I find it hard to restrict myself! Ah well, it gives me an insight into the addictive nature of internet gambling without going there myself. I'll refrain from wordle today (if I remember) as I am in favour of working from home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:52 AM

    The role of the monarchy in Australia and Canada may be insecure already, but I doubt that H&M will make any impact in the UK. They have not, as yet, provided any solid evidence of their claims. Who could have guessed that the British upper classes had more formal manners than American actresses? They do seem much younger than their years.

    ReplyDelete