Tuesday, January 30, 2024

 An exciting day — actually going out! The people-movers came first, of course, and bumped me down the steps in an ingenious machine. I After that it was the familiar wheelchair.

  The nursing home was interesting. It was pretty up-market but less so than Cramond (where I was in the summer) in various small ways: no television or telephones in the rooms; hairdressing and physiotherapy available but they cost extra; not really any garden belonging to the premises; no wine with your dinner. On the other hand the occupants seemed to be talking to each other. Cramond was awfully silent 

   The people-movers came back and got us home. I think I’ve seen their ingenious machine advertised. If so, not cheap, but it might be worth it if a single carer could operate.

   The cat was upset, but we never found out whether she was distressed by my unusual absence or cross because her lunch was late. She went on complaining after I got back and after she had lunch. She spent the afternoon napping on my tummy as I napped, and has, at least, stopped complaining.

   Helen continues to be pleased with progress in the Downstairs Lavatory.

  That was of course about it for today. I’ve knit a bit more. The ball of wool is undoubtedly smaller, and we haven’t quite finished week one. The object is to polish it off before the current carer’s tenure ends in the middle of next week.

Wordle: again my two starters yielded only one brown vowel. The same one as yesterday, at that. I stuck gamely to the principle of entering only possible winner-words, and scraped home in six, the class dunce.

Three for Roger, today’s star. Four for Ketki, Thomas and Theo. Five for Mark and Rachel. They both had my configuration — four greens with a blank to be filled in the middle. Like me, they guessed wrong the first time, but unlike me they had reached that point in only four lines. Uncharacteristic silence from Alexander so far. 


7 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:26 PM

    What a big outing. Glad it's possible, if with people movers. Good to get it in before the next spat of winter weather which will no doubt be soon. My daffodils in the garden are ignoring any cold and shooting up skyward. I can't wait to see their yellow faces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Lou11:11 PM

    What good news, that there is, in fact, a way to get out and about. I scraped by with six today, as well. Mild weather January, and tomorrow is supposed to be 51F. I am hoping my daffodils don't get excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:43 PM

    Good to hear that getting out and about is possible even if it requires scheduling help with the stairs. Also, that the plumbing is coming along after the initial plumbers not taking on the job. Sounds good all around
    Judy Southern California

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:17 AM

    What a busy day for you.
    Perdita gets a lunch? I find that by the time I get hungry it is almost time for an early dinner. Of course I’m not a cat. It is sometimes hard to understand their language.
    I have been confused by your Downstairs lav. I though your apartment was level. Could you explain?
    weavinfool

    ReplyDelete
  5. =Tamar11:38 AM

    Poor Perdita.
    That care home sounds like a bad deal, nickel and diming the residents who need help to do their hair and charging extra for physiotherapy - isn't physiotherapy part of the point of a care home? So people don't just sit and get weaker?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:12 PM

      I think it's fairly standard in the UK to have extra charges for care home residents to get physio, or hair cuts and styling which is what getting your hair done means in the UK). After all, not everyone needs physio to the same degree, and some ladies might like their hair set every week as my mother in law does, while some men might only want a trim every few weeks. Fairer all round to be charged for what the individual gets....

      Delete
  6. Kirstenm3:27 PM

    It's good to be able to take your time and have a look at what's available, rather than it being a rushed decision as it is for so many.
    Our cats, when they were really ancient, had about 5 meals a day!

    ReplyDelete