Tuesday, January 16, 2024

 Bright and cold again.

Knitting progressed, slowly as always. The heart of the trouble is that in brioche knitting one knits two rows for every one achieved. It would take some effort to work it out, but I am beginning to wonder if that is perhaps just as true for half-brioche as for the Full Monty.

Helen came and we had a session with a woman from Edinburgh Council who may be able to facilitate my problem of how to get down the front steps. She was pleasant, anyway.

I spent some time this afternoon working on a completely unnecessary problem involving my great wealth: how do you calculate what percentage something is of something else? Ask Google, is of course the answer. I got it in the end, and was surprised to find how valuable still (proportionally) was a gift my grandfather made me in the cold winter of ‘62-‘63, if not then, somewhere thereabout.

It may all soon be swept downstream to pay for my care. But it wouldn’t have done that in ‘62. My grandfather, too, needed live-in care at the end, and what he got wasn’t very good.

Wordle: All threes and fours today, except for Mark, of all people, who took five. I was a four. Ketki and Rachel and the two Americans were the threes.

My two starters gave me two browns, a vowel and a consonant. Couldn’t be worse, nor could I think of anything. (My starters use all the vowels except Y, and five common consonants. Sometimes, as this morning, that doesn’t seem to leave much room to manoeuvre.) Finally I entered a Jean-word (=couldn’t be right). It was useful, as often — three greens. And I got it on the next line.




4 comments:

  1. So pleased that the Council might help. In England you would be entitled to a complete assessment of needs, and Social services would have to provide whatever they could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous5:58 PM

      https://careinfoscotland.scot/topics/how-to-get-social-care-support/assessment-of-your-care-needs/

      Delete
  2. Mary Loy10:45 PM

    I expect your grandfather would be happy that his gift was enabling you to live comfortably now. I got Wordle in four. Does anyone use the bot to see how their guesses compare? I am always mystifed by what the bot suggests would have been more helful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. =Tamar5:29 AM

    Never having done brioche, I'm not sure, but I think anything involving reusing a row would be much the same. Congratulations on doing the math. I used to be good at math, but am woefully out of practice.

    ReplyDelete