Sunday, October 10, 2021

 

I’ve had another day of pretty utter feebleness. Archie came, and we got some useful work done clearing books and paper and sauce bottles off the kitchen table so that Rachel and Ed (arriving Tuesday) will have somewhere to sit down and eat their breakfast. We didn’t just clear the things off, either: we put them, one by one, where they belonged.

 

I’ve been re-reading Marjorie Allingham, hand over fist. At her best (during and just after the war) she’s very good. A new Simon Serrallier was published last week. I’ve read the first few chapters and have laid it aside, I hope temporarily. And I learned today that we are about to have a posthumous Le Carre. That’s likely to be worth reading.

 

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reading tips. Have you read any Mapp & Lucia by E. F. Benson?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I have had a fit of reducing my library I have always kept Allingham; I always enjoy re-reading her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I just checked and the new Simon Serrallier isn’t due in the US until March. I was introduced to the Bruno Chief of Police series recently. Well written and a run read so far. Set in the Dordogne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice that Rachel and Ed are coming. I imagine it will be lovely to see them. Archie continues to be a big help and a good companion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your kitchen table sounds like my dining table; so many books, bits and pieces (but no sauce bottles!) that we always eat off a tray...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Allingham, Nabb, Ngaio Marsh, and of course Sayers. old friends to turn to. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you have a particular Allingham that you would recommend as a good first read?

    ReplyDelete