Monday, October 25, 2021

 

Life edges forward (I hope). C. and I actually got out for a little walk yesterday. I’ve been much weaker today and didn’t repeat the experiment.

 

But I did organize a survey of my stash, which has dampened any desire to order more yarn.

 

1)    I’ve got lots of Madeline Tosh, although less than a sweater’s-worth of any colour. But plenty to let me embark on Brooklyn Tweed’s “Idiom”, if that’s what I want to do, and possibly even finish with adroit use of stripes.

2)    A surprising amount of  KD’s Schiehallion in various colours. I could knit her “Lilias Day” pattern ordering only a main colour.

3)    For a long time I couldn’t find the yarn for Carol Sunday’s “Machu Picchu”. Then I did. Was that just a year ago? I remember that I stopped knitting because it was this time of year and the black main colour was too gloomy for winter solstice knitting. But I had forgotten how wonderful the yarn is. It’s Sunday’s “Nirvana” – 90% merino and 10% cashmere. It slides most deliciously over the old hands.

4)    Oddly (because it’s so recent) I can’t find the Coofle yarn. I knit the corrugated rib for the body on my most recent cruise (employing all the colours) and am now moving forward with the solid-coloured body. That’s with KD’s Milarrochy Tweed which doesn’t slide deliciously anywhere. I’ve had an idea as to where the rest of the yarn might be. I’ll tell you tomorrow.

5)    An unbelievable amount more.

Reading is just endless Allingham. I’m pretty well finished with her.

 

Today, I believe, is called the feast of Crispian….

 

8 comments:

  1. I dare not consider the size of my stash. Don't you find the problem is that you don't have the "right" yarn you need for a particular project?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:31 PM

      The right yarn for what I want to make: that's certainly the problem with my stash.
      -- Gretchen (aka stashdragon)

      Delete
  2. I have more yarn in the house than I will ever be able to knit, but because I'm a cheapskate, it mostly came from charity shops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the anniversary of you ending up in Scotland? Something like that, as I vaguely recall. Oh so much yarn, so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vowed to only knit from my stash. That didn't last very long as I have recently embarked on knitting leg warmers for my granddaughter and that required new yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The stash! Mine is scrips and scraps of leftovers. I'm eyeing up an EZ wishbone sweater from December in her Almanack, but what is 'sheepsdown' and how much is 8 skeins and what is an equivalent? Gauge is 'one and a half inches on size 12 needles', I think. (I'm finishing breakfast-in-bed and book is downstairs). So many questions...
    I've enjoyed The Windsor Knot; the Queen solving a murder at Windsor Castle. Touching scenes with Prince Philip, bringing her pheasants he shot at Balmoral as birthday present.. fiction, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking on Ravelry, it appears to be a (super)bulky yarn that knits to 10 sts per 10 cm/2.5 sts per inch. Most adult sweaters seem to use 800-900 metres.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, that's very helpful!

      Delete