Wednesday, October 20, 2021

 

The cheetahs are quiet at the moment.

 

Alexander came to see me today, completely unexpected so there was no bright conversation prepared. He is cowering in terror, of course, at the prospect of the Climate Change beano which is about to be unleashed on Glasgow. They can’t just retreat to Loch Fyne because Thomas is still at school.

 

Not much news here. I think I am perhaps slightly better. I got my instruction kit for the colonoscopy. It’s a whole month away. All I have to do for now is put it in a safe place. I think Helen will be here to shepherd me though the ordeal. Her husband David has had several because of having diverticulitis. I think in the end he had part of his gut removed, like the Pope. It’s comforting having company – including you, Tamar. Misery loves it, indeed.

 

I knit a few more rounds of the Calcutta Cup vest. At least wee Hamish’s circumference is less daunting than an adult’s. Thank you for your encouragement about the sweaters I’m tempted to buy yarn for.

 

And I’ve started reading The Thursday Murder Club. You – all – were right to recommend it. It’s delightful, and not depressing, as so much else that I read these days seems to be. It’s interesting that the question of money is front and centre, with the developer of the retirement village making big bucks from it, and being an unattractive character. I went with my mother once when she was confronting the director of Meadow Lakes about a rise in the monthly fee which took it beyond her planning. He had a lot in common with Osman’s character – big, chunky gold jewellery.

 

5 comments:

  1. Thank you fr the cheetahs! I am beginning to be tempted by the Richard Osman, on you say so, but this past couple of days I have been reading a Monica Dickens - fell off the shelf and needed dusting. "The Fancy" - pub. 1946 or so. I had forgotten how beguiling she was, with a lovely mixture of characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny2:19 AM

    I had diverticulitis and had 8 inches of colon removed. Best thing I ever did!
    Many colonoscopies before the surgery though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. =Tamar3:09 AM

    Mine both reported perfect health. The doctor was effusively complimentary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Syd T.4:21 PM

    Thank you for the Cheetahs! So adorable...as all kittens are. I am also going to check out The Thursday Murder Club...need a good distraction at the moment.

    Very happy Helen will be with you when you are preparing for the colonoscopy. I was surprised that I needed some one in the house for that, and so very grateful they were there to fetch things for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to visit a friend yesterday at her new senior condo. It is for former university employees and lovely. I recommended the Thursday Murder Club to her!

    ReplyDelete