Monday, June 12, 2023

 

My new carer promises well. She is nothing if not interesting. She is an asylum-seeker (who has been granted asylum) from Oman or some such place, a non-practising dentist. I am her first paid job in Britain. She lives in Cumberland because that is where the British sent her. She has never been to Edinburgh before, nor presumably Scotland. She speaks remarkably good English. She has a tendency to put loose papers into piles but I can live with that.

 

I‘m hard at work on calories. Wafa is in the kitchen this very moment making me a salad for supper. I’m feeling somewhat better. Kirsten (comment yesterday) I’m very grateful for your suggestion of A Room with a View and even more for the suggestion that I may still be suffering from the after-effects of that antibiotic. At the moment I am trying to read Robert Harris’ Cicero trilogy. He’s good, and the tatters of my education still cling to the subject. We shall see.

 

Wordle: yet another four, and it was again a popular score. Theo, Alexander, Rachel and Ketki joined me there. Clever Mark got three, Thomas five, Roger six.

 

One of my principles for Wordle-solving – perhaps the only one I’ve got – is to try Q whenever I find myself with a floating U. Yesterday my starters gave me a green A in the middle position, and a brown U and R. So I tried QUARK, without much idea of what it means. Wrong, but it gave me green UAR in the middle, and from there to GUARD wasn’t too difficult, given the letters available. Those were the two words which WordleBot told me afterwards were the only two possible from my starting position.

6 comments:

  1. =Tamar5:10 PM

    So, things are well in hand. I'm told we need more vitamins etc as we age. Salad - I assume more than just lettuce- sounds like a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:13 PM

    You are sure to be still feeling the after effects of the chest infection! Experts keep saying that as we age, it takes longer to get over any illness even with the miraculous benefits of antibiotics.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very glad of this comment as I was beginning to get fed up and frustrated! I haven't finished today's wordle but might give it another go.

      Delete

  3. As well as the anti-biotic affecting your appetite, you may be suffering from alcohol withdrawal. With someone else bringing you regular food things can only get better. I wonder where in Cumbria Wafa was placed. The UK really needs dentists... and care-workers of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:25 AM

    So glad your carer seems to be working out so well. Everyone seems to be needing more doctors and dentists these days. Someone once pointed out that it’s because it only takes two years beyond college to become a lawyer…we are getting soft as a more educated population. Down side to everything, I guess. (Not enough plumbers either.). I love your choice of words, Jean. Tatters of My education, too. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Lou3:10 PM

    I echo the others on Wafa, and happy it seems like a good fit. I have met many refugees here with professional education who are unable to work at that for language and licensure reasons. I am a try Q type as well. I think all those years of “Voyages in English” serve me well with wordle!

    ReplyDelete