Thursday, June 22, 2023

Yes. Here we are. I have to type with one finger on the iPad and it’s tedious. I am indeed in hospital. Well spotted, Shandy. The cats are provided with expensive live-in care (Wafa). They will leave for  their various destinations on Saturday. Wafa will leave for her next assignment on Monday. I will have to stay here until they let me go, while my (even more expensive) accommodation at Cramond sits unused.


I have been poked and prodded, bled and scanned for several days now. They think I have an “atypical pneumonia”, and want to be sure it is responding to an atypical antibiotic before they let me go. I think I am ready for a respiratory ward. Also I have got a catheter and am receiving oxygen — I will have to be weaned of both. We are assuming the hip operation will be cancelled. From my present position, pinned down by tubes and wires,, my previous state is remembered with affection.


I am in an Assessment Ward. I am now the longest-serving inhabitant by some measure. It has been fun working out other people’s diagnoses. We have got an alcoholic who drinks about what I do per day, if she is to be believed, but I know that doctors regularly calculate a fixed proportion in addition. We have also had a fascinating late-middle-aged anorexic,not far from death I would say.


Wordle:a straightforward one today. Threes for me and Ketki and Theo. We had all been provided with the  opening letter by our various starters.  The rest got stuck in a Wordle special with too many possibilities. No fours. Fives for all the others (Thomas, Alexander, Rachel, Mark)

But the big excitement was KAZOO on Monday while I was being taken into hospital. I could never have got it. The perfect day.


19 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:32 PM

    So so good to see you are writing again ! I have missed you . Checked a couple times a day ! Take care , get well fast . Thinking and praying for you . Barb in the USA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:57 PM

    Very happy to see you here. Happy too, that you're in hospital where you will be getting the best treatment!

    Jenny from Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jean! You are sounding remarkably cheerful! Are you able to read/listen to audio books/get BBC sounds/KNIT even? I do hope they get you sorted out quickly.
    I didn't attempt kazoo.... I have several from my primary school music teaching days... your post has brightened up my day and it is a great relief to hear from you again. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Jane5:53 PM

    Glad to hear from you. I love thar you are finding humour and items of interest in the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  5. =Tamar7:39 PM

    Thank you for letting us know. I'm glad to hear they are taking it seriously. What a shame though. I take it Cramont will be the plan for recovery?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a guess, as the alternative was too awful to contemplate. I've been in one of those wards myself -atrial fibrillation- and you don't get much sleep. It does open your eyes to different people's responses to serious illness - and to the endless pagtience of the staff in dealing with them. I must say that you sound pretty chipper. Let's hope it clears up quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:27 PM

    Like your other fans, I was so happy to see a post from you! But I am sorry the hip procedure has to be delayed, or abandoned.
    In spite of being "wired" you do sound quite yourself. No mention of knitting; did you manage to bring some with you or is it too difficult with all the lines.
    Please get well soon. We have missed you!
    Sarah in Manhattan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Jean, so relieved to find one of your witty posts and to know you're being assessed and looked after. Wishing you a good recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:23 AM

    Dear Jean, thanks so much for your post with your update - it can't be easy for you to publish from the hospital bed.
    I hope you can be moved to a less-temporary room soon and make a good recovery. It will be good to be done with at least some of the wires and tubes!
    Thinking of you,
    Lisa RR

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1:43 AM

    So glad to see a post - was concerned. Doing some sock knitting and thinking of you. nancy from Chicago

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous2:06 AM

    So glad to see your post, and I appreciate the effort what with one-finger typing. I have missed your entries, knitting progress, news, and reports on Wordle. I was concerned. Here’s hoping for rapid improvement!

    Harriet

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous2:26 AM

    So relieved to hear from you, Jean, but disappointed about the likely surgery postponement. But glad to see you in such good spirits. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to see your post! Wishing you a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous4:33 PM

    So good to hear your - relatively speaking - good news. I hope you make an early recovery that will permit you to reschedule the hip surgery soon.
    Thinking of you,
    Gretchen (aka stashdragon)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mary Lou4:40 PM

    hope along with the others that you are growing stronger. How fortuitous that you have the place in Cramond for your recovery. I hope that they only delay surgery. Also glad to see you can still work Wordle! Much better than I can, apparently. I have have fives for the last three days!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Southern Gal3:48 PM

    Also glad that you are in good hands. I just caught up with junes posts. It’s been a busy month. So sorry to read of the various events. Wafa sounded like a great find.

    Hopefully you are mending and will report soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous4:02 PM

    I hope all is well and the cats are ok too. =Philhellene=

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous2:20 AM

    Oh dear!! Hope you are soon on the mend!

    ReplyDelete